Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16608 Discussions

USB Blaster issue in Windows 7 VM on Mac OS X 10.7 host

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am running Windows 7 (64-bit) in a virtual machine in VMWare Fusion 5 on Mac OS X 10.7. I have installed Quartus II 12.0 with no problems and it runs great. The USB Blaster driver also installed but it does not recognize the development board (Stratix IV GX 530). The Programmer in Quartus II does not recognize it, nor does the standalone programmer. The Board Test System software also does not recognize it.  

Does anyone have experience with using a dev board in Windows VM/Mac host? Has anyone attempted this set-up? I'd appreciate any help, thanks!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am running Windows 7 (64-bit) in a virtual machine in VMWare Fusion 5 on Mac OS X 10.7. I have installed Quartus II 12.0 with no problems and it runs great. The USB Blaster driver also installed but it does not recognize the development board (Stratix IV GX 530). The Programmer in Quartus II does not recognize it, nor does the standalone programmer. The Board Test System software also does not recognize it.  

Does anyone have experience with using a dev board in Windows VM/Mac host? Has anyone attempted this set-up? I'd appreciate any help, thanks! 

--- Quote End ---  

There are a lot of documents describing how to setup and troubleshoot a USB Blaster. It would have been helpful if you have provided additional information along with a more details on the issue you are having. Perhaps a screenshot of the Device Manager, Programmer error message etc.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have spent the past 4 days scouring the internet; searching various boards and Altera's myAltera support pages and manuals. I have seen issues with users trying to use Linux in a virtual machine on a Windows host and vice versa. I have not seen anything helpful with issues involving USB Blaster on Mac OS X host/Windows 7 VM.  

When I try to connect to the Board Test System I get this error: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Connecting to the target... 

java.lang.Exception: Could not find device 0x024030DD 

This problem could be caused by an older version of Quartus. Please ensure Quartus 9.0 is installed.  

--- Quote End ---  

It asks for at least Quartus 9, even though Quartus II 12 is installed. This is downloaded as part of the Stratix IV GX530 dev kit software from the Altera website. 

On my Windows 7 Enterprise virtual machine, USB Blaster is displayed in the device manager.  

What other information would be helpful? Here are some screen caps.  

Thanks!
0 Kudos