Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

How do we select specific bits from a bus?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, I am new here and I have a problem using the block diagram in quartus II with cyclone III. 

So I am trying to select specific bits from a bus, and have no luck yet.  

I know how I can select a bits to connect to a Node but I am not sure how I do this in Bus with my set up now. 

So I have a LPM_ShiftReg with 40 bits as a data input. 

bit [39..28], [15..0] of this data will be a constant (using LPM_constant) 

and I need to input bit [27..18]. 

On the other side of my block diagram, I have another LPM_shiftReg which inputs ****fIn and output Q as data bus with 16bits (15..0).  

Now I need to take the bits [11..0] of this second shift register to feed back into [27..18] of first shiftregister. 

Can someone tell me how I can achieve this please? 

(I am not familiar with VHDL or verilog.. and it would be really appreciated if you tell me how I can do this with block diagram.) 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can access the partial vectors by using named bus signals. There's also a connector symbol to connect bus signals with different names.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you so much! 

Would you mind explain what the connector symbol to connect bus with different names in the program?  

Thank you so much!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I mean the "wire" symbol under buffers.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try this method of naming your bus and using parts of it:

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This may help if you want to insert the variable bus on an input to a register. Use commas.

0 Kudos