Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

web and subscription at same time?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry it this is already posted elsewhere. I couldn't find it. 

Can I install both the free web edition of quartus at the same time on the same computer as the subscription based edition without messing one of the installations up? If I can, is there anything special I should do to make it work? I prefer the windows versions. 

I can compile most of our designs using the free web edition, but the subscription edition is needed for some others. We only have one floating license for multiple people, so it would be advantageous for us to use the web edition some of the time so we don't bottleneck ourselves with the license.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can have multiple versions of Quartus installed; different version numbers and both web and subscription editions, just make sure to install them in unique folders, eg.,  

c:/software/altera/12p0sp2 

c:/software/altera/12p0sp2_web 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You can have multiple versions of Quartus installed; different version numbers and both web and subscription editions, just make sure to install them in unique folders, eg.,  

c:/software/altera/12p0sp2 

c:/software/altera/12p0sp2_web 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

Dave, 

Installing both packages on different directories works ok, but... is there any way to use the subscription edition package with a License Setup configuration that enables only the Web Edition features? 

I would like to avoid installing (and downloading) both packages. It would be nice to install only the subscription edition package and downgrade it to the Web Edition features when a full license is not available. 

Is there any way to do so? 

Best regards, 

julio 

PD: This used to be possible some years ago, when the full/free versions of Quartus were obtained using different license.txt files with the same installation package.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Dave, 

Installing both packages on different directories works ok, but... is there any way to use the subscription edition package with a License Setup configuration that enables only the Web Edition features? 

I would like to avoid installing (and downloading) both packages. It would be nice to install only the subscription edition package and downgrade it to the Web Edition features when a full license is not available. 

Is there any way to do so? 

Best regards, 

julio 

PD: This used to be possible some years ago, when the full/free versions of Quartus were obtained using different license.txt files with the same installation package. 

--- Quote End ---  

I discovered there is a downside to this that may be related to your question. If both versions are installed and you add a license to the licensed version, the nonlicensed web version will also see that license and use that license. It appears both versions will point to the same license path. Consequently, I suspect it is better to just install the licensed version, and remove the license from the path when you don't want to use the license.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I typically have a subscription license installed on my development laptop, and then when I want to confirm that a design can be synthesized using the web edition, I use a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox) with the web edition installed (this allows me to test both Windows and Linux versions). 

You can start the subscription edition without a license, and it drops into 30 day evaluation mode. I'm not sure what the restrictions are, eg., I don't know if it disables device programming or just the devices not included in the web edition. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos