Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1175 Discussions

connecting DE1 cyclone II board to ethernet port in PC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi i am currently doing my final year project, which is remote video surveillance using FPGA de1 board. A camera will capture the video and transfer data to fpga, and from fpga it will send data to pc through ethernet port. The problem is , fpga de1 board does not have LAN port. So is it possible to use the RS-232 port, means using a converter RS-232 to ethernet for this project? 

Thanks in advance for your reply.......:)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

RS232 port maximum baurate is usually 115200 bps. 

That means data throughput can't be above some 12.5k bytes per sec. 

This is a rather low figure for streaming video, unless you accept a very low image quality and slow frame rate, even with strong data compression.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply cris , is there any other way doing ethernet connection between DE1 board and pc?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you're looking for ethernet, you might want to consider using a DE2 instead...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.... 

if i use the DE2 board, can you recommend me what type of camera to use for my video surveillance project. 

I need some suggestion to start searching for the type of camera to use...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

I have completely understand your entire prob;ems but my brother keep this reality in you mind that with the passage of the time and the advanced and the informative era you can got the maximum information to your internet searching.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, mohamad .. I am also doing the same project on DE1 board and i want the LAN port. but it is not available on the DE1 board itself. IF you had done it as per the suggestions, then what is the resultfor that. 

My project modules are: 

1) To port nios2 softcore processor on the de1 board. 

2) To install the OS(Compatible with de1) 

3) To create an application on the above platform. 

Can you suggest me what new i can do in this application? 

IF any suggestions are there then please tell..
0 Kudos