Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Cyclone III FPGA Starter Kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I installed "Cyclone III Starter Kit" and played with the initially stored program (in which LEDs blink) using Board Test System. 

But now I am wondering where I can get the project file(qpf) of this initially stored program. 

I thought the project file named "cycloneIII_3c25_start_niosII_standard.qpf" is it but when I compiled the file I faced an error telling me "Error (12006): Node instance "comb_4" instantiates undefined entity "cycloneIII_3c25_start_niosII_standard_sopc." 

So the question is 

Can I see the preloaded program of Cyclone III Starter Kit? 

and if "cycloneIII_3c25_start_niosII_standard.qpf" is the one I should look for, can you tell me how I can compile it? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Probably you need to rebuild the sopc system, in order to generate the requested entity. 

You should have in your standard project a *.sopc or *.qsys file.  

Launch Qsys and open this file, then generate the system. This should create the missing files.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Cris72 

Thanks for your reply. 

I just tried the way you told me and could compile the "cycloneIII_3c25_start_niosII_standard." 

I appreciate your help!! 

--- Quote Start ---  

Probably you need to rebuild the sopc system, in order to generate the requested entity. 

You should have in your standard project a *.sopc or *.qsys file.  

Launch Qsys and open this file, then generate the system. This should create the missing files. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Yhatagishi, 

You use the same kit as me. You reached the same milestone as me. I could compile and execute this "cycloneIII_3c25_start_niosII_standard" on my cyclone III starter kit. 

All 4 leds come turned on. 

But what does it make? I can push any button ; nothing changes. Do I need some extra hardware beyond the cyclone III started kit? Do I need some Nios II Embedded Evaluation Kit? 

Anyway, where to find more tutorials about this cyclone III starter kit? 

Tutorials or project files for education purposes. Self-speaking project files. 

There is no my_second_fpga my_third_fpga my_fourth_fpga, is there?? 

Is there some file server somewhere on internet where to download project file. Easily understandable. 

Tutorials involving the fpga + the buttons + the leds + the memories on the board. 

Tutorials involving floating point and fixed point arithmetic operations.  

Understandable tutorials. 

Tutorials executable by this Cyclone II starter kit. 

Tutorials understandable by a beginner.  

Thank you in advance. 

Regards, 

Jean-Michel.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, Jean-Michel 

Sorry for late reply. It had been winter break. 

--- Quote Start ---  

All 4 leds come turned on. 

But what does it make? I can push any button ; nothing changes. Do I need some extra hardware beyond the cyclone III started kit? Do I need some Nios II Embedded Evaluation Kit? 

--- Quote End ---  

Is "Board Test System" installed under the folder named "Cyclone III EP3C25 Starter Kit v12.0.0" ? 

If not, follow the "User Guide" (there should be an instruction of installing "Cyclone III EP3C25 Starter Kit v12.0.0"). 

--- Quote Start ---  

Anyway, where to find more tutorials about this cyclone III starter kit? 

Tutorials or project files for education purposes. Self-speaking project files. 

There is no my_second_fpga my_third_fpga my_fourth_fpga, is there?? 

Is there some file server somewhere on internet where to download project file. Easily understandable. 

--- Quote End ---  

I think there is no additional "my_****_fpga" programs nor tutorials about the kit. 

However, it is useful to refer to free online trainings which are available on the Altera's website. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Tutorials involving the fpga + the buttons + the leds + the memories on the board. 

Tutorials involving floating point and fixed point arithmetic operations.  

Understandable tutorials. 

Tutorials executable by this Cyclone II starter kit. 

Tutorials understandable by a beginner.  

--- Quote End ---  

I think Altera is quite unfriendly to beginners... 

Good luck with your kit. 

Hope my reply would help. 

Regards, 

Yukihiro
0 Kudos