Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Software / BSP Building with ARM Soc/Linux OS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have been learning the development flow using altera tools the last few weeks. So far I understand how to design NIOSII based hardware using Qsys, add FPGA connections using Quartus, then build the BSP and application software with microCII/OS using the niosII IDE for Eclipse. 

My question is: 

Will the BSP generation, linux OS, and application interface for the ARM Soc/Linux OS be as tightly integrated as NIOSII/microCOS IDE for eclipse? 

Right now, we use vxwokrs on a VXI front end, which requires us to use software tools that are not integrated with altera. Building a BSP and using debugging tools that are not integrated with Altera is tough, and we would like to move away from that design flow. We like the NiosII design flow, but we would like to use the ARM soc with a linux OS. 

Thanks for any replies, 

Ed
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have been learning the development flow using altera tools the last few weeks. So far I understand how to design NIOSII based hardware using Qsys, add FPGA connections using Quartus, then build the BSP and application software with microCII/OS using the niosII IDE for Eclipse. 

My question is: 

Will the BSP generation, linux OS, and application interface for the ARM Soc/Linux OS be as tightly integrated as NIOSII/microCOS IDE for eclipse? 

Right now, we use vxwokrs on a VXI front end, which requires us to use software tools that are not integrated with altera. Building a BSP and using debugging tools that are not integrated with Altera is tough, and we would like to move away from that design flow. We like the NiosII design flow, but we would like to use the ARM soc with a linux OS. 

Thanks for any replies, 

Ed 

--- Quote End ---  

I think I may have answered my own question. The DS-5 Altera may have what I'm looking for.
0 Kudos