Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16558 Discussions

Drive a net with Signal Tap

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My understanding is signal tap doesn't have the option of driving a net/pin, which would be very helpful. My question is why?! :) it's a neat feature and should be added IMO.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can use the sources/probe ip/megawizard if you want some basic ability to turn on/off a signal.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can imagine a fast "SignalSource" tool as nice Quartus feature. It involves considerable extensions to the existing SignalTap II functionality, e.g. a waveform editor, stimulus trigger definition etc. I'm not sure if Altera is motivated to spend the development resources shortly. But I appreciate the suggestion. 

SignalTap II is storing acquired data in internal RAM. It's not too complicated to implement a signal generator that replays stimuli from a RAM filled by the In-Memory-Content-Editor. The SignalTap II trigger output could start the signal generator. This should give the basic functionality you are asking for.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That would be a nice tool, you should make a suggestion to Altera. I suppose the easiest way to do that kind of functionality at the moment would be to use the source/probe in combination with the in system memory content editor, and use a rising edge detector to trigger sending the ram contents in either a one shot or a continuous loop. 

Cheers.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks everyone for the replies, let's see if we can get someone from Altera to look into this.

0 Kudos