FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

EP2C50 development

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had a query regarding Cyclone 2 development board. 

We are planning to do a project in which we need to use Altera Cyclone II EP2C50. However, I realised there are no development kits with this FPGA and Cyclone 2 family development kit comes with EP2C20 alone which has lower logic elements/configurations than EP2C50. 

I am not sure how I need to proceed in this case. Is it possible to replace EP2C20 with EP2C50 if I order for a cyclone 2 development kit or should I have to use what is available and then change later for the final product.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

as the EP2C20 used on the board should be the 484Pin package supporting vertical migration as shown in the handbook your idea should be generally feasible. You should check nevertheless for differences in Pinout between the EP2C20 and EP2C50 and for the configuration interface on the dev-board accepting the larger config file for the EP2C50.  

Last but not least you should check for a company to replace the chip physically - as there is some distance between the FPGA and other devices required for the desolder / solder process... 

To cut a long story short: It should be possible but to be 100% sure some stuff must be checked first...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There's the DE2-70 board, with an EP2C70 FPGA.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your response

0 Kudos