Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

20ns pulse generation at rising edge

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,  

I'd like to generate a 20ns high signal at the rising edge of another (clocked, 330ns) signal. 

Formally, they are a 50MHz clock and a 3MHz clock. 

Right now, I am stuck at the very beginnin' of this task. I mean, I found many codes that can generate a pulse if a rising edge condition is meet. Anyway, there's no control on the pulse duration.  

I was thinking of a signal locked at the rising edge of the 3Mhz signal to trigger a state machine clocked @50Mhz. My problem is that I can't figure out how to deassert the trigger signal, since it will deassert on the next rising edge of the control signal.  

Here is a (wrong) code I made since now - i didn't include resets here to make it easibily readable.  

I don't expect a solution, or it to work. I'd like just a hint.  

--- Quote Start ---  

always@(posedge 3Mhz_signa)  

begin 

up<=1; 

end 

always@(posedge 50Mhz_signal) begin 

case(fsm) 

0:begin; 

data_out<=0; 

if up(fsm<=1); 

end 

1:begin; 

data_out<=1; 

fsm<=0; 

end 

endcase 

endmodule 

--- Quote End ---  

how can i deassert "up" signal after 20ns, being locked to posedge 3Mhz clk? 

I was thinking of a sort of "feedback", but still not ideas. 

EDIT:  

i seems like I didn't search enough on google.  

I found out this (http://www.oldcrows.net/~patchell/iparchive/oneshot.v) that's exactly what I needed. 

Basically, feedback was the right way.  

I've a long way to proper learn coding.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So you need your trigger to be aligned with the rising edge of the 3 MHz clock and then go low 20 ns later? Did I understand you correctly? This is not possible with the clocks that you have.  

However, you can make a 20 ns pulse when a rising edge on 3 MHz is detected using the 50 MHz clock. The issue with what you are trying to do is that the 3 MHz and the 50 MHz clocks are not synchronous.  

/Boris
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I wanted a pulse generation triggered by the rising edge of the 3MHz Clok - I understand your point now, you're right.  

Anyway, the link I posted seems to be fair enough for my purpose, right now. I'll be back on the pulse generation, maybe.
0 Kudos