Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Mechanical Drawing for Stratix V DSP Development kit?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Does anyone know where i could find the mechanical drawing for the Stratix V DSP Development kit? I've looked at the resources that Altera provide but i just can't find one. 

I'm only looking for it to see the position of the holes and the the dimensions of the board. I have one on order and want to prepare a computer and other things ready for when it arrives. 

The Stratix V DSP Development kit that i am talking about can be found here...  

altera.co.uk/products/devkits/altera/kit-stratix-v-dsp.html 

Any help is much appreciated.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you download and install the kit software/documentation? 

Most of the kits come with a schematic and PCB folder, and generally a PDF of the PCB details, including mechanical details. If the files only include a .brd file, then that is an Allegro PCB file, which you can open with the free Allegro viewer tool. Inside Allegro, you can use the 'i' (information) tool to obtain mechanical details. 

If there are not PDFs in the zip file, there is a .brd file, and using Allegro sounds too painful, let me know what details you want and I'll open the .brd file. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeah i did download the kit installation. There is a PDF with a mechanical drawing of the device on it but it uses an unconventional method to provide the dimensions. So i was hoping for another source, as like a second opinion, as i'm only guessing at how they've decided to display the information. The drawing doesn't give any form of measurements for the centre of the holes. 

I've attempted to open the gerber file using 3 online websites and Eagle but all of them give me an error message saying that there is something wrong with the gerber file. So it appears like i'm not able to view the file. 

For me this is an important decision because i'll be buying a new computer for this application, so i want to make sure before i buy something that needs match the requirements. 

Here is the mechanical drawing i talk about. Would anyone say that the corner that i've coloured red and put an arrow to is the origin of all of the measurements? The holes are indicated with the letter 'K'. 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6653
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You have interpreted the diagram correctly. 

Note that the board is higher than a normal PCIe board. I just measured the Stratix IV GX Development kit, and its about 4.2 inches (107mm) tall (ruler measurement - not from a mechanical diagram). 

Did you really want to use this in a desktop computer? It might make it hard to probe or attach cables. 

Have you considered using an external PCIe slot? For example, OneStopSystems have PCIe expansion systems 

http://www.onestopsystems.com/ 

I test my PCIe hardware using an HP Elitebook laptop with an ExpressCard-to-PCIe adapter controlling/connecting to a 3-slot motherboard. 

http://www.onestopsystems.com/pcie_over_cable_z6.php 

http://www.onestopsystems.com/pcie_atx_bp.php 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your help Dave.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The holes are indicated with the letter 'K'. 

--- Quote End ---  

I installed the kit and opened the PCB file in Allegro. Here are the mechanical locations of the holes marked K (in mils / thousandths of an inch): 

1. Bottom left (295.00, 191.00) 

2. Bottom right (6250.00,550.00) 

3. Pair at top left (350.00, 3974.00) and (295.00, 3553.00) 

4. Pair at top middle (3150.00, 3974.00) and (3450.00, 3974.00) 

5. Three at top right (6250.00, 3974.00), (6073.00, 3639.00), and (5128.00, 3639.00) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos