Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

I need help with simulation by ModelSim

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

As written in title, I am trying to do RTL simulation using ModelSim and stuck with it. 

I'm a newbie to ModelSim and this question may seem stupid, but please help me (I looked for a lot of "How To"s but could not solve by myself). 

Below is the code below I am trying to simulate. It is just dividing the frequency. 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all; entity FREQ_DIVIDER is port( CLK : in std_logic; decountCLK : out std_logic ); end entity FREQ_DIVIDER; architecture BEHAVIOR of FREQ_DIVIDER is -- Difining component(s) -- Difining signal(s) signal Q : std_logic_vector(25 downto 0); -- Difining procedure(s) begin decountCLK <= Q(25); process(CLK) begin if CLK'event and CLK = '1' then if Q = 49999999 then Q <= (others => '0'); else Q <= Q + 1; end if; end if; end process; end architecture BEHAVIOR;  

This code works fine I think (since I used this and other codes to blink LEDs and confirmed it worked as I imagined). 

And below is the test bench code for the above circuit. 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all; entity FREQ_DIVIDER_TB is end entity FREQ_DIVIDER_TB; architecture BEHAVIOR of FREQ_DIVIDER_TB is -- Difining components component FREQ_DIVIDER port( CLK : in std_logic := '0'; decountCLK : out std_logic ); end component FREQ_DIVIDER; -- Difining signals signal CLK : std_logic; signal decountCLK : std_logic; constant CLK_period : time := 20 ns; begin uut : FREQ_DIVIDER port map( CLK => CLK, decountCLK => decountCLK ); CLK_process : process begin CLK <= '0'; wait for CLK_period/2; CLK <= '1'; wait for CLK_period/2; end process; end architecture BEHAVIOR;  

- compiled both of the file above on ModelSim, 

- did "Start Simulation", and 

- did "Run all." 

However when I see the waveform I get output signal (which is decountCLK) is always 'X'. 

CLK is working fine. 

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?? 

Any helps are appreciated.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The simulator does not know what you want for the initial value for Q. Supply an initial value for the signal, eg., 

-- Difining signal(s) signal Q : std_logic_vector(25 downto 0) := (others => '0');  

and it will work fine. 

An alternative method is to add a reset input and then add reset logic to the counter process. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Dave 

--- Quote Start ---  

The simulator does not know what you want for the initial value for Q. Supply an initial value for the signal, eg., 

-- Difining signal(s) signal Q : std_logic_vector(25 downto 0) := (others => '0');  

and it will work fine. 

An alternative method is to add a reset input and then add reset logic to the counter process. 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

I did the way you told me and it worked fine!! 

Thank you very much and I'm soooo happy now because this had been bothering me like 12 hours...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You're welcome. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos