Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

DDR2 hard memory interface in ARRIA V

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Its the first time I'm using ddr2 hard memory for altera . 

can somebody explain the hard memory ddr2 interface? 

what signals should I drive in : AFI I/Os ? what do I need it for? 

afi_clk  

afi_half_clk  

afi_reset_n 

what signals should I drive in :calibration/command I/Os 

mp_cmd_clk_0_clk  

mp_cmd_reset_n_0_reset_n  

mp_rfifo_clk_0_clk  

mp_rfifo_reset_n_0_reset_n 

mp_wfifo_clk_0_clk  

mp_wfifo_reset_n_0_reset_n 

local_init_done  

local_cal_success  

local_cal_fail  

local_refresh_req  

local_refresh_chip  

local_refresh_ack  

oct_rzqin  

Many thanks
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Any name with the AFI_ is the Avalon Interface from Altera, you can view it as a generic bus. The width of the bus varies with the speed / width you are running on the DDR2/3 interface. All that is configured for you thru MegaWizard (I am using the soft-core instead so maybe there's some difference). I suggest running the complete example design (can be conveniently generated by open the project file, and run the <vhdl/verilog>.tcl script) to visually help understand how the bus works. 

Here are some links that maybe helpful to you: 

Section 9 – MegaWizard Plug-In Manager Flow of the following: http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/external-memory/emi_plan.pdf 

For an overview read this section: http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/external-memory/emi_intro.pdf 

There is also a Stratix III/IV UniPHY tutorial: http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/external-memory/emi_tut_qdr.pdf 

Here is all the documentation on the External Memory Interface Handbook: http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/external-memory/emi.pdf 

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Many thanks for your help. I've created a ddr2 ip with megawizard. like you said, it generate an example "ddr2_example_design". 

I run the <vhdl/verilog>.tcl script , the project was compailed and I can see Waves. 

some of the signals are RED (unknown state) : init_done,cal_success,cal_fail,status_fail... 

in the model sim transcript window I see an error :ERROR: Invalid arc in, fsm:AVL_FSM, state:AVL_IDLE 

# Instance: ddr2_example_sim.e0.if0.p0.ddr2_example_sim_e0_if0_p0_ddr2_example_sim_e0_if0_p0_acv_hard_memphy_umemphy_arriav_mem_phy_hphy_inst_6080.inst.<protected>.<protected> 

# Time: 17867500 

# ERROR: Invalid arc in, fsm:AVL_FSM, state:AVL_IDLE 

# Instance: ddr2_example_sim.e0.if0.p0.ddr2_example_sim_e0_if0_p0_ddr2_example_sim_e0_if0_p0_acv_hard_memphy_umemphy_arriav_mem_phy_hphy_inst_6080.inst.<protected>.<protected> 

# Time: 17880000 

Do you know what is this error? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It sounds like it could not find the Altera and/or Arria V libraries. Or not all of the libraries are compiled. Try look into msim_setup.tcl to see if all the path to the Altera files are setup properly, if not, you could hard-code it to your exact path and run again.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I fixed it, but now I have different problem. the ddr2_example_design simulation doesn't work well. 

I implemented a Hard memory interface (ddr2) for ARRIA V in the megawizard. And I wanted to activate the example design.  

I run ddr2_example_design example design exactly as described in README.txt file 

- open the Quartus project "generate_sim_example_design.qpf" and select Tools -> Tcl Scripts... -> generate_sim_vhdl_example_design.tcl and click "Run".The generated files will be found in the subdirectory "vhdl". 

- To simulate the example design using Modelsim AE/SE: 

1. Move into the directory ./verilog/mentor or ./vhdl/mentor 

2. Start Modelsim and run the "run.do" script: in Modelsim, enter "do run.do". 

In the Wave I don't see any action in the ddr2 signals(dq,dqs) its always in tri-state. 

Attached the Wave screenshot.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you try simulate longer to see when does the local_init_done is complete? For my simulation it took about 135500uS.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am not sure about this but maybe someone could confirm. 

I was also having problems trying to get the Arria V Hard Memory Interface to work. Everything built and compiled OK and the timing looked reasonable but on the actual board the DDR would not calibrate and start up. I tried reducing the clock speed [was 400MHz] down to something far less critical but still no luck. 

Last September I was at a trade show where Altera had a booth so I went to see if anyone could help me. I was told that actually the HMI interface is not yet supported in Quartus for Arria V and wouldn't be until 12.2 

We have had parts now for more than 1 year [ES] but still I am confused as to whether or not we can use this function especially as it APPEARS to work in QSYS..... so far I have had little response direct from Altera.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, 

I have tried to run model sim for 135500uS , but my simulation is very slow. i am using model sim altera 12.1 sp1. 

It takes 10min to run this design example for 100usec. it will take me 9 days to run it for 135msec :-). 

Do you know a way how to speed up the simulation ? ?? 

thanks 

Is it true that HMI interface is not yet supported in Quartus for Arria V and wouldn't be until 12.2 ???
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

same here, any progress guys?  

In my Arria V Kit, the local_init_done never gets asserted :( ... What I've tried? 

- I was told that HMI is disabled by default for Arria V ES http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd01302013_805.html 

I asked the local support to enable it, they advised me to put some option to turn on the HMI, into quartus.ini file but no help 

- Compiled with the latest 13.0, still ... doesn't work.  

If there's any workaround/issues, guys please post it, you can greatly save others' time! 

Thanks  

Jeff
0 Kudos