Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

What board to purchase to get started

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

What board should I be look at purchasing to get started programming opencl on FPGAs? 

Applications I am interested in are network packet parsing and processing. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unless you want to create your own OpenCL BSP, there are very few boards with existing OpenCL support, and even fewer with network support in the BSP. Check Altera's board partners that support OpenCL (Bittware, Nallatech, Terasic and Gidel). The boards are pretty similar in terms of peripherals, it all comes down to the BSP and what it supports. 

You can also purchase or even borrow a development kit from Altera if you are part of the university program, which would give you very basic network support in OpenCL.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you. That gives a good starting point. 

I will look into the board partners to see what they offer.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The partner BSPs are more than i need at the moment. 

My goal is to implement packet parsing, processing software in opencl and run on fpga. It is fine to use a packet capture file for testing rather than process from the network. 

Can you recommend an altera development board for this purpose?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As far as I know, Altera has a reference Stratix V board and a reference Arria 10 board for OpenCL development. These boards do not seem to be listed on their website. You should contact Altera directly and ask about this.

0 Kudos