Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16594 Discussions

Data from Ethernet port to Block diagram (Stratix III)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

I have a little block diagram that makes some arithmetic operations with 32 bits data. Now i need to read this data from the Ethernet port (I want to send the data from my PC) and then send the result back. How can I do that? 

I downloaded this project, which was attached in another thread, and I could run it and make the example code work (turn on/off leds depending the number you write) in my Stratix III, but I don't have any idea on how to connect it with my block diagrams. 

Or probably there is another way to do this, directly inside the block diagram without going through he SOPC block? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Using this project you will have to create a SOPC block with your block diagram (that one that makes the 32 bit operations) and than connect it to the SOPC project of the example, because this uses a NIOS to interface the TSE MAC, so this block you will create will interface with the NIOS. But if you want to avoid NIOS and SOPC will you have to instantiate the TSE alone using MEGAFUNCTION.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your answer! 

I want to try to do it without SOPC and NIOS. Can you help me with the instantation of the TSE Megafunction in my block diagram? I just did it, but I don't know how to make the right connections with the huge amount of pins and the following steps. 

Do you know any tutorial or example design? Or maybe you can help with my own design.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

The instation of the TSE in VHDL is like the archive attached here.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks. I'm going to take a look at it!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, if I'm right that's the instantiation of the megafunction. I instantiated it in my block diagram already, but the problem is that I don't know how or where to connect all those pins that the instantiation shows. Is there any tutorial or step by step design example for this Ethernet communication? I'm looking for this kind of support for many weeks and I can't find anything.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All the examples you will find use SOPC Builder / QSys and a Nios CPU. Instantiating the core yourself and trying to control it directly isn't easy.

0 Kudos