Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

Question regarding to PLL of Cyclone IV

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is a 40MHZ master clock in my system and I am using this master clock to generate a 160MHZ to capture the incoming data. 

The problem is sometimes I can capture the right data but sometimes I can’t. 

When I reset PLL in Quartus II such as the whole project was recompiled, the incoming data will be fine. 

In my program, I reset the PLL at the beginning of whole project by using another clock source but I cannot get the right incoming data. 

Please let me know what I should do to reset PLL correctly. 

Many thanks. 

David.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you confirmed that your received data is being captured by a clock that is centered in the data eye pattern correctly? 

For 160MHz data streams you would normally send the clock with the data, i.e., use source-synchronous clocking. 

A master clock distributed between boards can have different phase-shifts than the data transported on cables between boards. This would result in sometimes getting ok data, while other times not. 

The receiver PLL has a phase-shift option. You can program it using an ALTPLL_RECONFIG. You could sweep over the receiver data to see when you get setup/hold violations versus not. That would help you figure out the source of your problem. At that point, you can figure out what the longer-term solution is. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave, 

I will try to use ALTPLL_RECONFIG and let you know the results. 

Many thanks. 

David.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I will try to use ALTPLL_RECONFIG and let you know the results. 

--- Quote End ---  

Before you do that, check whether you are actually getting data using SignalTap II. You can then look at see whether the data is being received incorrectly, or perhaps gain some insight as to your problem. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave, 

Yes, I can show the captured video data on LCD now. 

Only problem I have is the PLL lost lock sometimes after project compilation. 

Best Regards. 

David.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, I can show the captured video data on LCD now. 

--- Quote End ---  

Ok. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Only problem I have is the PLL lost lock sometimes after project compilation. 

--- Quote End ---  

But that is a different problem than your original statement: "The problem is sometimes I can capture the right data but sometimes I can’t." 

If your PLL is losing lock, then of course you will lose data :) 

Does your system have a local clock source? You could use that along with some counters to check for the presence of the external 40MHz clock. If it goes missing, then that would explain why your PLL unlocks. If the reference is fine, then I would look at the PLL power supply. Perhaps it is marginal. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry for my wrong statement. 

The master 40 MHZ is free running and it is always presented. 

I will check the power supply of PLL. 

Many thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

One more question: 

If PLL is reset when the watch dog program detect "lock" signal is low, can PLL be reset back to preset parameters such as "phase shift"? 

What is the power supply for PLL. 

Many thanks. 

David.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If PLL is reset when the watch dog program detect "lock" signal is low, can PLL be reset back to preset parameters such as "phase shift"? 

--- Quote End ---  

It depends on the ratio of reference to output frequency. 

In your case, since the reference clock is 40MHz and you create 160MHz, then the ratio is an integer, i.e., 4x. If you trigger an oscilloscope using the 40MHz clock and look at the 160MHz signal, then the phase-shift between the two should be the same between power cycles. You can however adjust that phase shift if you want to. 

--- Quote Start ---  

What is the power supply for PLL. 

--- Quote End ---  

You'll have to look at the schematic. The pin connections guidelines for the part has the recommended implementation. Check that the recommendation has been followed, and probe it to see whether the voltage looks clean (not noisy). 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos