Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Porting a custom Hardware device Driver from nonmmu to mmu Advice

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks in Advance. 

I've got a daughter card with custom hardware and my device driver that was developed on the nonmmu (nios2.h) without "probe function" that I'm updating for the mmu device tree release and a new daughter card on the DE2-115 evaluation board. 

I read and learned a bunch from http://uuoc.org/uclinux_nios2_custom_hardware.pdf 

My problem is that my "probe" is not getting executed so I don't have a base address or irq for the driver. But my "mod_init" does get executed if I make it a built-in module AND if I make it loadable I can to a modprobe and it is executed. 

My *.dts file entry for this hardware is: 

NOTE: I made up the "pcm2par" it was unknown - and my device driver matches that "pcm2par" 

pcm2par_av_0: unknown@0x09004c0 { 

compatible = "pcm2par, pcm2par-1.0"; 

reg = < 0x09004c0 0x00000010 >; 

interrupt-parent = < &cpu >; 

interrupts = < 8 >; 

}; // end unknown@0x09004c0 (pcm2par_av_0) 

so: 

1. do i have to use probe? can i just do all of that (of_match_device, platform_get_resource, request_mem_region, ...) in mod_init? 

2. is there a place to define custom "pcm2par" for the kernel - is "altr" defined somewhere in the nios2-linux/uclinux-dist ? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To answer my own question: 

The entry in the *.dts NEEDS TO REFER TO "ALTR" first. 

pcm2par_av_0: unknown@0x09004c0 { 

compatible = "ALTR, pcm2par-10.1" "ALTR, pcm2par-1.0"; 

reg = < 0x09004c0 0x00000010 >; 

interrupt-parent = < &cpu >; 

interrupts = < 8 >; 

}; // end unknown@0x09004c0 (pcm2par_av_0) 

Then all is well and the driver is happy.
0 Kudos