Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

QII 13.0 Text Editor strange behaviour on text entry

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a strange problem with text entry in QII's text editor, which makes typing really annoying. 

Assume the line to be changed is at mid screen, some lines "above" and some below. Sometimes on typing (IIRC most time with autocompletion comeing up with suggestions or typing e.g. '(' of vector range defintion etc.) the editor scrolls the line where I'm typing to the upper or lower end of the entry window...  

e.g.: Lines shown in text editor: 1935 to 2013. I "click in line 1968" to type text (being somewhat mid of screen). While starting to type the name of e.g. a signal, it's likewise I would have pressed PgDwn/PgUp as the active line is now either the first (editor shows now lines 1968 to 2046) or it's scrolled to be one of the last ones shown (editor shows 1893 to 1971). Closing this editor window and reopening sometimes fixes the problem, sometimes for some entries only, sometimes it's the same from the start... 

That drives me crazy :-(  

Are my files too large for the text Editor? 

Is there something configuration Option set, that initializes this? 

Best regards, Carlhermann 

System: Win8, 64Bit / Quartus II 13.0 WebEdition...
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would raise the issue with my support and then move to a better text editor (quartus text editor is functional, but nowhere near as useful as other text editors that are free). 

You can even set quartus to open your text files in an external editor: tools -> options -> external text editor.
0 Kudos