Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Ubuntu 13.04: Segmentation Fault during MegaWizard ALTDDIO_OUT creation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hardware: DE2-115 development board (Cyclone IV) 

I'm trying to follow the Triple Speed Ethernet tutorial (I can't include the link, but it's "using_triple_speed_ethernet.pdf" on the Altera tutorials page) which has been without issue up until I try to create the ALTDDIO_OUT. I've launched Quartus from the terminal; when I open the MegaWizard Plugin Manager and select ALTDDIO_OUT, name the file and then click "Next", a window pops open for a moment, begins to load but exits early (Segmentation Fault printed to the terminal), and then I am returned to [page 2a]. 

Somebody posted something similar having issues with ALTPLL ... MegaWizard worked just fine when I generated the PLL, so I'm at a loss for why this is different. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm having this same problem. I'm running Quartus II v13.0 on a remote server. I can launch and create an ALTCLKCTRL and successfully create the megafunction.  

But I canNOT create the ALTDDIO_OUT. I get "Can't create the custom megafunction variation file(s)." error message along with an "Error in CNX file format".  

Can someone help?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm having this same problem. I'm running Quartus II v13.0 on a remote server. I can launch and create an ALTCLKCTRL and successfully create the megafunction.  

But I canNOT create the ALTDDIO_OUT. I get "Can't create the custom megafunction variation file(s)." error message along with an "Error in CNX file format".  

Can someone help? 

--- Quote End ---  

here's the failure sequence: 

I open a terminal window, issue this command: shell xxx/13.0/linux32 

Then issue: quartus & 

Quartus launches. I go to Tools -> MegaWizard -> Create new…. -> ALTDDIO_OUT -> enter name hit Next 

MegaWizard will not lauch. 

I get a couple of *cnx* files. My terminal window shows “Error: "Can't create the custom megafunction variation file(s)." error message along with an "Error in CNX file format". 

So I go into my desktop windows Quartus version, create the ALTDDIO_OUT function, copy the 4 verilog files (.qip, .v, _bb.v, inst.v) to my unix directory, instantiate the altddio_OUT in my Top Verilog design, hit compile, Quartus crashes/shuts down/core dump in terminal window. 

I’ve switched to “shell xxx/13.0/linux64, MegaWizard will now launch and create ALTDDIO_OUT.
0 Kudos