Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12599 Discussions

Nios II interrupt design example required

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want to understand how to write code for a timer interrupt for the NIOS II in Eclipse. I understand that this will require me to use a timer block in Qsys and than use it to generate the interrupt signal. I am blank on how the C code is to be written and need clarification on this issue. 

Is it possible to get a reference design that demonstrates how one may be able to implement interrupts in the NIOS II, with the Qsys side as well as the Eclipse side made manifest? A most humble design shall be well recieved if it can demonstrate the concept.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Is it possible to get a reference design that demonstrates how one may be able to implement interrupts in the NIOS II, with the Qsys side as well as the Eclipse side made manifest? A most humble design shall be well recieved if it can demonstrate the concept. 

--- Quote End ---  

See example (LED_PWM is my own Qsys components with HAL): 

#include <stdio.h># include <string.h># include "sys/alt_flash.h" # include "sys/alt_irq.h"# include "system.h" # include "altera_avalon_pio_regs.h"# include "altera_avalon_timer_regs.h" //#include "altera_avalon_timer.h" # include "pwm_avalon_interface_regs.h"# include "pwm_avalon_interface.h"# include "pwm_avalon_interface.c" //********************** Global Variables *********************************************** volatile unsigned short int led_dir; volatile int return_code; volatile unsigned char i = 0; volatile unsigned int duty_cycle = {499999, 150000, 60000, 10000, 5000, 2500, 800, 1}; //********************** ISR functions ************************************************** static void timer_isr (void * context) { volatile unsigned char* led_ptr; volatile unsigned char* dir_ptr; IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_STATUS(TIMER_BASE, 0); dir_ptr = (volatile unsigned char*)context; led_ptr = dir_ptr + 1; return_code = altera_avalon_pwm_change_duty_cycle(LED_PWM_BASE, duty_cycle); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE, *led_ptr); if(*dir_ptr) { *led_ptr >>= 1; i--; } else { *led_ptr <<= 1; i++; } if(*led_ptr & 0x81) *dir_ptr ^= 0x1; } //********************** Auxiliary functions ******************************************** void check_return_code(unsigned int address, int return_code) { if(return_code != ALTERA_AVALON_PWM_OK) ; // print_error(address, return_code); } //********************* Main function *************************************************** int main (void) { void* led_dir_ptr = (void*)&led_dir; led_dir = 0x0100; //Timer Initialization IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_CONTROL(TIMER_BASE, 0x0003); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_STATUS(TIMER_BASE, 0); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_PERIODL(TIMER_BASE, 0x9f00); IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_PERIODH(TIMER_BASE, 0x0024); //Register ISR for timer event alt_ic_isr_register(TIMER_IRQ_INTERRUPT_CONTROLLER_ID, TIMER_IRQ, timer_isr, led_dir_ptr, 0); //Initialize PWM and Check Return Code return_code = altera_avalon_pwm_init(LED_PWM_BASE, 500000, 1); check_return_code(LED_PWM_BASE, return_code); //Enable PWM and Check Return Code return_code = altera_avalon_pwm_enable(LED_PWM_BASE); check_return_code(LED_PWM_BASE, return_code); //Start timer and begin the work IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_TIMER_CONTROL(TIMER_BASE, 0x0007); // IOWR_ALTERA_AVALON_PIO_DATA(LED_PIO_BASE, led); while (1) check_return_code(LED_PWM_BASE, return_code); }
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is interesting. I suppose that the same shall be done if we have a slave SPI IP as it shall also release interrupts when it recieves data. Is that really the case?

0 Kudos