Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Analyzing Simulation result

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Friends, 

Am new to the Quartus II environments, but i like to know what a the specific part of the software one should go to and dwell on in other to analyse simulation result or output.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Quartus is for synthesis, while Modelsim is for simulation. 

Here's a tutorial that uses both simulation and synthesis, including code and Tcl scripts to setup both simulation and synthesis 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/using_the_usb-blaster_as_an_sopc/qsys_avalon-mm_master_tutorial 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Dave, i don't have Modelsim installed on my system, but Quartus does produces a logic output... i'm also aware it's output could be viewed as text. That's what am interested in.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

i don't have Modelsim installed on my system 

--- Quote End ---  

Altera has a free version; Modelsim Altera Edition. Download it and install it. 

--- Quote Start ---  

but Quartus does produces a logic output... i'm also aware it's output could be viewed as text. That's what am interested in. 

--- Quote End ---  

Viewing generated code is a waste of your time.  

Write VHDL or Verilog, then write a testbench, and confirm the tests pass in Modelsim. 

Synthesize the design, along with timing and pin constraints, and generate an output netlist. 

If timing passes, then run a simulation with the post-place-and-route netlist. Once you have confidence in your design skills, you can generally believe that a design that passes timing can be tested directly in hardware (since post-P&R simulation can take a while). 

Bottom line is you do not need to read anything Quartus generates. Let *Modelsim* do that for you, and let a computer (via your testbench) test the code too. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos