Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

VHDL Code and Pin assignments on Terasic TR4

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello to everyone,  

I would like to ask you something about the configuration of pin assignments in VHDL. I would like, before starting to make my question, to say that I am relatively new to VHDL and Quartus II environment, but I have already learned some programming on a DE2 board. I just don´t seem to be able to to the same on the TR4. 

I am trying to make an easy blinking LED application, so the first thing I did was to program a VHDL entity called Simple_led, which is taking as input signal an internal 50 Hz oscillator, and it´s letting one of the leds on the board to blink. 

Now the code is very easy, I just have somethin like: 

entity Simple_led is port(OSC_50_BANK1 : in std_logic; LED : out std_logic_vector(3 downto 0) ); end Simple_led; architecture behavior of Simple_led is signal led_c : std_logic := '0'; begin LED(0) <= led_c; blink : process(OSC_50_BANK1) variable temp : integer := 0; begin if (temp = 50000000) then temp := 0; led_c <= not(led_c); else temp := temp + 1; end if; end process blink; end behavior; 

The point is that I have defined the pins correctly following the board manual, and I have even checked that on a demonstration design delivered with the board itself.  

Inside the pin assignment the clock signal is exaclty called OSC_50_BANK1, and the leds are LED[0], LED[1], LED[2], LED[3]. 

When I compile the project I get warnings telling me that: 

• there is one pin which is not driving logic....  

• there is no defined clock inside my design...  

This is not clear to me. I have verified my design comparing it with the demonstration project which is written in Verilog, but which basically does the same I am doing in VHDL. 

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? In case I can give you more details. 

All the best,  

Giovanni.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should use inside the process a rising_edge(OSC_50_BANK1) to detect the clock rising edge. As I understand you want to increment your variable when you have a clock signal. 

So you would have something like this: 

entity Simple_led is port(OSC_50_BANK1 : in std_logic; LED : out std_logic_vector(3 downto 0) ); end Simple_led; architecture behavior of Simple_led is signal led_c : std_logic := '0'; begin LED(0) <= led_c; blink : process(OSC_50_BANK1) variable temp : integer := 0; begin if rising_edge(OSC_50_BANK1) then if (temp = 50000000) then temp := 0; led_c <= not(led_c); else temp := temp + 1; end if; end if; end process blink; end behavior;
0 Kudos