Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

tduty

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've got the CycloneIII Starter Kit and Terasic HSMC-Net daughter board. 

I must create a project to transmit data via Ethernet at speed near 600-700 Mbits per second. 

I tried to use the Terasic example, but it did not work - may be the reason was my not sufficient experience. 

I tried to use an example from the Lwip. It can transfer data, but at speed near 1 Mbits per second. 

On the forum I found the experienced users stated - using the Nios controller one cannot achieve more than 100-150 Mbits per second. 

One user wrote he found an example for TSE without Nios. 

Can anybody help me - is there any example for TSE without Nios? 

Or may be there is a result of using TSE with Nios and achieving needed data rate? 

Regards
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What data? UDP or TCP? UDP packets can be easily handled by hardware very fast. TCP is complex and slow.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The only example I know about is this one: nios ii udp offload example (http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/nios_ii_udp_offload_example)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The only example I know about is this one: nios ii udp offload example (http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/nios_ii_udp_offload_example

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you, Daixiwen. 

I'll try to adjust the example to my DVK board and will report the results. 

My aim is to use UDP so I believe the example could help me. 

Regards,  

tduty
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I looked thru the example, but it is hard to use. 

I am new to the SOPC Builder, NIOS II IDE, but have done the first steps using them. 

Unfortunately the example prepaired in SOPC Builder is then transformed to be used in the bash shell. 

And no source files for SOPC Builder are left. More over the software example is not full I believe.  

The essence of the example is clear, but it is not clear what to do - 

I use another board and didn't work with the bash shell. 

Is it possible to transform somehow the example back to the SOPC Builder environment? 

Any advices?? 

Regards,  

tduty
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I used this example before under Windows with Quartus 12.1. It's full and nothing is missing there. I think, I just needed to modify required Quartus version in build script "create-this-project.sh" manually. By default it's "EXPECTED_QUARTUS_VERSION="Version 9.0 Build 235". After that magic script creates everything you need to get started.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I used this example before under Windows with Quartus 12.1. It's full and nothing is missing there. I think, I just needed to modify required Quartus version in build script "create-this-project.sh" manually. By default it's "EXPECTED_QUARTUS_VERSION="Version 9.0 Build 235". After that magic script creates everything you need to get started. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi linas, 

Thank you for your test. 

My aim is to fulfil my own project not only to examine the example.  

So I began to study texts in the IP folder - there the components are written in Verilog. 

I found quite everything. 

The only issue is I don't know how to use the bash shell. 

So I am to become familiar with it. 

Regards, 

tduty
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After changing expected Quartus Version to the needed one you go (in Windows) to Start-> ... -> Altera xxx -> Nios II EDS xxx -> Nios II xxx Command shell. You have thing similar to MS-DOS, with cd <folder_name> and cd .. (go one folder up) navigate to script location. Then type ./create-this-project.sh and it runs. You don't need deep knowledge on that to get started.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

After changing expected Quartus Version to the needed one you go (in Windows) to Start-> ... -> Altera xxx -> Nios II EDS xxx -> Nios II xxx Command shell. You have thing similar to MS-DOS, with cd <folder_name> and cd .. (go one folder up) navigate to script location. Then type ./create-this-project.sh and it runs. You don't need deep knowledge on that to get started. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you, linas, 

The operations you described I'd already tried to fulfil. 

My issue essence is that I don't know commands used in the bash shell nor its scripts. 

I can guess how to change pins assignment. 

But so far I can not check that components and connections of another board will suit for my the Altera Cyclone III Starter Board.  

That's why I must study commands and scripts of the bash shell. 

Regards, 

tduty
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I compiled the example. My problem was not in the Quartus II version but in correct paths to necessary files assignment. 

So though compilation finished I did not get necessary files such as for flash downloading. 

It's a preliminary compilation done without any adjustment of the example to suite for my board. 

I'll inform you of the results when I fulfil the last operation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi linas, 

My compilation of the example using Quartus 9.0 was successful unless only .sof was created due to the Web Edition I guess. 

But when I tried to do the same using Quartus 12.1 Build 177 (Web Edition too) there was such a result:  

Strings from the bash window: 

Info: save_system test_sys_sopc 

Error: set_parameter cpu setting_shadowRegisterSetsPresent false: null  

set_parameter cpu setting_numShadowRegisterSets 1: null 

set_parameter cpu setting_eicPresent false: null 

set_parameter cpu setting_autoAssignNumShadowRegisterSets true: null 

SOPC Builder was created successfully… 

SOPC Builder was NOT generated successfully… 

Error in build_and_generate_sopc_system… 

Unfortunately I don't know why in the previous version of Quartus this error was not found but in this version was. 

I don't know the destination of the parameter 'cpu setting_shadowRegisterSetsPresent'. 

After I tried to comment it out the next error was displayed 

Error: set_parameter cpu setting_numShadowRegisterSets 1: null ... and so on 

I know that the last Quartus versions use the Qsys instead of SOPC Builder. These both systems are similar more over in the Qsys windows one can see many mentions of the SOPC Builder. So hardly it is the reason of the error found. 

You wrote your experience in using Quartus 12 was successful. 

Could not you advise why my experiment was not. 

Regards, 

tduty
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

My compilation of the example in Quartus 9.0 was successful. 

But in Quartus 12.1 Build 177 an error was found. 

The strings from the bash window: 

Info: save_system test_sys_sopc 

Error: set_parameter cpu setting_shadowRegisterSetsPresent false: null  

set_parameter cpu setting_numShadowRegisterSets 1: null 

set_parameter cpu setting_eicPresent false: null 

set_parameter cpu setting_autoAssignNumShadowRegisterSets true: null 

SOPC Builder was created successfully… 

SOPC Builder was NOT generated successfully… 

Error in build_and_generate_sopc_system… 

Linas wrote his experience in using Quartus 12 to compile the example was successful. 

Any advice why my experiment was not successful? 

Regards,  

tduty
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As far I can remember I used only QSYS, because SOPC Builder is obsolete.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Is there any advice what is the reason of such an error displayed by the Quartus 12.1 bash? 

How one can overcome this issue? 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Is there anybody who met an issue like mine? 

Quartus 12.1 cannot set_parameter cpu setting_shadowRegisterSetsPresent false: null  

and displays an error. But Quartus 9.0 did it. See my post (October 25th, 2013, 10:11 AM). 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Unfortunately the udp_offload_example_3c120 is prepared for the bash though it's stated in its some script that it was created after the system was created in the GUI. 

I'm already a little familiar with the Qsys and the Nios II SBT for Eclipse but not with the command shell. 

So my attempts to adjust the example for the some Cyclone 3c25 board are still unsuccessful. 

Moreover initial example compiled in the Quartus 9.0 cannot be compiled in the Quartus 12.1 though in the above message linas informed he'd compiled it in the Quartus 12 successfully. 

Can anybody suggest an idea what to do? 

Is there any way to return to the GUI from the bash? 

Regards,  

tduty
0 Kudos