Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Verify fail at reset vektor after adding PLL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi. 

Some days ago I've created a thread http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42762  

I think I asked questions wrong, however I can't delete it.  

So, my system was running at 50MHz, everything was fine. I added it via Mega-Plugin-Wizzard: 

altpll_component : altpll GENERIC MAP ( charge_pump_current_bits => 1, compensate_clock => "CLK0", inclk0_input_frequency => 20000, intended_device_family => "Cyclone IV E", loop_filter_c_bits => 0, loop_filter_r_bits => 27, lpm_hint => "CBX_MODULE_PREFIX=pll_sys", lpm_type => "altpll", m => 10, m_initial => 1, m_ph => 6, n => 1, operation_mode => "NORMAL", pll_type => "AUTO", port_activeclock => "PORT_UNUSED", port_areset => "PORT_UNUSED", port_clkbad0 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_clkbad1 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_clkloss => "PORT_UNUSED", port_clkswitch => "PORT_UNUSED", port_configupdate => "PORT_UNUSED", port_fbin => "PORT_UNUSED", port_inclk0 => "PORT_USED", port_inclk1 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_locked => "PORT_USED", port_pfdena => "PORT_UNUSED", port_phasecounterselect => "PORT_UNUSED", port_phasedone => "PORT_UNUSED", port_phasestep => "PORT_UNUSED", port_phaseupdown => "PORT_UNUSED", port_pllena => "PORT_UNUSED", port_scanaclr => "PORT_UNUSED", port_scanclk => "PORT_UNUSED", port_scanclkena => "PORT_UNUSED", port_scandata => "PORT_UNUSED", port_scandataout => "PORT_UNUSED", port_scandone => "PORT_UNUSED", port_scanread => "PORT_UNUSED", port_scanwrite => "PORT_UNUSED", port_clk0 => "PORT_USED", port_clk1 => "PORT_USED", port_clk2 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_clk3 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_clk4 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_clk5 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_clkena0 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_clkena1 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_clkena2 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_clkena3 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_clkena4 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_clkena5 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_extclk0 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_extclk1 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_extclk2 => "PORT_UNUSED", port_extclk3 => "PORT_UNUSED", self_reset_on_loss_lock => "ON", vco_post_scale => 2, width_clock => 5, c0_high => 3, c0_initial => 1, c0_low => 2, c0_mode => "odd", c0_ph => 6, c1_high => 3, c1_initial => 1, c1_low => 2, c1_mode => "odd", c1_ph => 0, clk0_counter => "c0", clk1_counter => "c1" )  

After that I can't run code on my device. I get "Verify failed" at reset vektor or sometimes, if verification succed, no output appears, just the empty console window all the time.  

My guess is, I've done something wrong with the PLL. I followed the steps from this here: http://www.emb4fun.de/fpga/nutos1/index.html and I only changed the speed grade to 7 according to my device datasheet EP4CE115F29C7. Phaseshift of c1 still be -54° for the SDRAM. 

So what am I doing wrong? Is that maybe the lock range? I didn't found it in the pll.vhd and in Mega-Plugin-Wizzard you can't change it for CyclonIV E. I just realy don't know what to do anymore, maybe someone of you does. 

Thank you. 

Vlad
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think it is the problem of SDRAM. You need to change the phase shift of the clock which is given to the SDRAM. You can use -90 degree clock to SDRAM clock.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello and thank you for reply. 

--- Quote Start ---  

You can use -90 degree clock to SDRAM clock.  

--- Quote End ---  

Why -90? I thought it depends on my hardware component. So if I use DE2-115 Board, according to ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/11.0/tutorials/vhdl/de2-115/using_the_sdram.pdf page 12, I have to shift the SDRAM clock -3ns with 50MHz.  

20ns = 360°  

-3ns = 360/20*(-3) = -54°..... 

Is that right? I saw -90° in several sources, maybe someone con explain why. I'd appreciate it. Thanks. 

Vlad
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I didn't go into the technical details for PLL tuning for SDRAM.I set the phase shift of -90 degree by trial and error method. 

However you can take reference to calculate phase shift for SDRAM clock from the link given below. 

http://www.pldworld.com/_altera/html/_excalibur/nios-sdram-tuning/sdram_pll_tuning.pdf
0 Kudos