Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Getting started - help and shortcuts needed

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm looking for help, shortcuts, and links to get started. 

My background: 

Years ago, I took a 1 day intro class by an Altera distributor. I don't remember much from the class. Everything was set up already in the lab. 

I'm an electrical engineer working in software development and test. 

I have a DE2 board and a BeMicro board. 

I'd prefer to work in Linux (Xubuntu), because that is my primary desktop. But I could setup a Windows machine for development. 

Questions: 

1. Would it be easier to work in Windows? I've seen some postings about problems getting a USB blaster working in Linux. 

2. Would it be better to start with the DE2 or the BeMicro? My goal is learning and playing. 

Thanks, 

Paul
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

1. Would it be easier to work in Windows? I've seen some postings about problems getting a USB blaster working in Linux. 

--- Quote End ---  

If you are familiar with Linux, use Linux. Getting the USB Blaster to work isn't really a "problem", it is just that it is not done automatically for you by the installer and you may need to edit a configuration file or two. 

--- Quote Start ---  

2. Would it be better to start with the DE2 or the BeMicro? My goal is learning and playing. 

--- Quote End ---  

Unfortunately, the older BeMicro SDK has an LPDDR external memory which you need a 3rd party IP core to use. This also isn't really a "problem" except it is probably a little more complication than you need starting out. 

A big perk of the BeMicro is that it is laptop (couch) friendly.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Linux and Windows both work fine. I have not tried using Quartus in Xubuntu. I have tried Ubuntu and it was a pain. Centos is painless. 

I'd recommend installing VirtualBox, and then install either Centos or Windows in the VM, then install Quartus into that. 

The BeMicro requires special drivers, so I'd start with the DE2 board. 

Here's a tutorial that uses the DE2 and BeMicro: 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/using_the_usb-blaster_as_an_sopc/qsys_avalon-mm_master_tutorial 

I need to update it for the newer tools, but the Qsys walk-through is still appropriate. 

Cheers, 

Dave 

PS. The BeMicro drivers for Linux and Windows have been posted to this forum, so you should be able to find them via a search. If you cannot, just email me, and I'll dig them up, I should have a copy on a USB drive.
0 Kudos