Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Modelsim-Altera very slow

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using Modelsim-Altera starter Edition 10.1b to simulate my design. I feel it's running very slow. It takes me 10 minutes to generate waveform for one single video frame(1024x768). 

By estimation, it's about 2us/second. Can you give me some ideas how to improve the simulation speed? Is it helpfule to use Modelsim SE instead of Modelsim-Altera version? 

(My laptop is win7 64bit i5-3210M(2.5G) 8GB RAM)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

http://www.altera.com/products/software/quartus-ii/modelsim/qts-modelsim-index.html 

You may be running into the design size limitation, which severely degrades performance. In newer releases, there will be a message in the console transcript to that effect if it is indeed happening to you. 

Depending on what you are debugging, one tip to speed up debugging is to not use full frame sizes; use something small like 64x64
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Ted, thanks for your helpful hint. I switched to Modelsim SE instead of Altera version. The simulation speed is extremely improved by 1000 times than before. Now, it's about 2ms/second instead of 2us/second.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Ted, thanks for your helpful hint. I switched to Modelsim SE instead of Altera version. The simulation speed is extremely improved by 1000 times than before. Now, it's about 2ms/second instead of 2us/second.

0 Kudos