Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20642 Discussions

Problems with a basic QSYS PCIe-DMA-Design. Timing not met.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello to all. 

I'm trying to build up a basic design for future purposes. I derived it as good as I could from the PCIe in QSYS Design Example. 

My goal was also to build it with an schematic-file as top-level-entity. And I wanted to use only the PCIe-RefClk for the whole Design (Is this possible).  

You can see my results in the attached project.  

What I have done so far: 

- I built a QSYS-System with the PCIe-HIP, mSGDMA with Read- and Write-Master, a dummy FiFo connected to the DMA-Cores and a PIO for Resetting single components. 

- I generated the QSYS-System and made a BSF-File 

- I build a schematic-file with a PLL, the AltGX_Reconfig-Block and the QSYS-System inside and wired them there. 

- I added the RX- and TX-Pins and the PCIe_Reset-Pin and wired then to the PCIe-HIP. The PCIe-RefClock-Pin feeds the InClk of the PLL and the PCIe-RefClk-Input of the PCIe-PIN 

- I generated a basic SDC-File. 

Then I compiled it all. 

The Result: 

Two times "Timing requirements not met.". The source of this is the PCIe-HIP<blabla>coreclkout 

If you want to help me, you just have to unpack the attached Project, open the QSYS-File and generate it, and then compile the whole Design. 

I know, resetting the PLL which feeds the PCIe-Core from the PCIe is a REALLY BAD IDEA!! But Hey, perhaps I wanted to get a Design which i could destroy if I want to ;-) 

The basic Files: 

- QSYS.qsys : my QSYS-System (Somehow obvious, right?) 

- Top_Schematic.bdf : The Top-Entity 

- sdc-add.sdc : A SDC-File which I use to generate the final SDC-File. 

- PCIe-DMA-Startdesign.sdc : The final SDC-File used in my design  

The IP-Cores: 

- In the Folder "ip" : The three Altera IPs for DMA 

- GX-Reconfig : The Alt_GX_Reconfig-Block used in Top-Entity 

- PLL_0 : The PLL for generating a 50MHz (c0) and 125MHz (c1) clock for the QSYS-System 

- Further IP-Cores : All from Altera listed in the QSYS-System (PCIe, OnChip-FiFo ....)  

Now my question: 

What am I doing wrong? Must I connect something else? Are the Connectionw wrong? Do I have to constrain something? I just don't get it. 

Please be gentle, dummy at work. 

Yours 

Steffen
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

PS: The Project is made in QuartusII 13.1

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think I located the problem: 

I changed the reference design for CycloneIV with a PCIe Gen1 1 Lane to my target device. And voilla: the Timings here also didn't meet. 

So it's not a problem of my Design. I think my Device has a Speed Grade which is too low. 

But I wonder why there can be a FPGA with a PCIe-HIP than can never ever meet the Timing Requirements. (Well, OK, the Fast Timing Model can have a functional Timing.)
0 Kudos