Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16557 Discussions

Migration of Qsys PCIe IP Core from 13.0SP1 to 13.1 failed

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

It seems that migration of my PCIe IP from 13.0SP1 to 13.1 failed. Specifically, I'm getting this error: 

Info (12128): Elaborating entity "altpciexpav_stif_a2p_vartrans" for hierarchy "de2i150_core:u0|de2i150_core_pcie_hard_ip_0:pcie_hard_ip_0|altpcie_hip_pipen1b_qsys:pcie_internal_hip|altpciexpav_stif_app:avalon_stream_hip_qsys.avalon_bridge|altpciexpav_stif_tx:tx|altpciexpav_stif_a2p_addrtrans:a2p_addr_trans|altpciexpav_stif_a2p_vartrans:vartrans"Error (10198): Verilog HDL error at altpciexpav_stif_a2p_vartrans.v(121): part-select direction is opposite from prefix index direction Error (10784): HDL error at altpciexpav_stif_a2p_vartrans.v(52): see declaration for object "PbaAddress_i" Error (12152): Can't elaborate user hierarchy "de2i150_core:u0|de2i150_core_pcie_hard_ip_0:pcie_hard_ip_0|altpcie_hip_pipen1b_qsys:pcie_internal_hip|altpciexpav_stif_app:avalon_stream_hip_qsys.avalon_bridge|altpciexpav_stif_tx:tx|altpciexpav_stif_a2p_addrtrans:a2p_addr_trans|altpciexpav_stif_a2p_vartrans:vartrans" Info (144001): Generated suppressed messages file ... Error: Quartus II 64-Bit Analysis & Synthesis was unsuccessful. 3 errors, 124 warnings Error: Peak virtual memory: 789 megabytes Error: Processing ended: Sat Nov 16 15:48:15 2013 Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:31 Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:42 Error (293001): Quartus II Full Compilation was unsuccessful. 5 errors, 124 warnings  

And I'm curious why this happens. I'm by no means an expert on PCIe or Verilog. 

I have included the file.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I get the same exact same error. I'm guessing you are also configuring the PCI core with Fixed translation table, and one address page for the address translation? 

If I change the setting to two address pages, it is possible to compile without error. This is not the setting I need in my design.  

The error is inside the file altpciexpav_stif_a2p_vartrans.v  

However, the in the file altpciexpav_stif_a2p_addrtrans, which instantiates altpciexpav_stif_a2p_vartrans, it will select altpciexpav_stif_a2p_fixtrans instead, if CB_A2P_ADDR_MAP_IS_FIXED is set.  

When I trace the parameter CB_A2P_ADDR_MAP_IS_FIXED in the modules I can see that this is never true: 

On the top_level of the pcie_core parameter CB_A2P_ADDR_MAP_IS_FIXED is set to 1 when I have selected fixed translation table.  

Further down in the module altpciexpav_stif_app the parameter setting CB_A2P_ADDR_MAP_IS_FIXED is suddenly hardcoded to 0. 

So when reaching the module altpciexpav_stif_a2p_addrtrans the setting is always 0. 

I don't know if this is a bug, or done on purpose to always use altpciexpav_stif_a2p_vartrans instead of altpciexpav_stif_a2p_fixtrans... 

I tested setting changing the code such that CB_A2P_ADDR_MAP_IS_FIXED was passed further down, but my design did not work. (The same design works when I generate and compile with Quartus 12.1 sp1, I have not tested with 13.0).  

So it seems that the hardcoding was done on purpose to always use the altpciexpav_stif_a2p_vartrans module, but this module does not support just one address page for the address translation (yet)... 

Best Regards, 

Jon
0 Kudos