Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

USB Blaster problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have a chip USB Blaster Rev C. When I program CPLD EPM7064SLC44-10 with Quartus II sp2 12.0 programmer, the process bar goes to 100% and then it shows "Failed". How can I fix this error ?  

However, it works with ByteBlaster(Parallel port programmer). 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you know whether or not the USB-Blaster actually works? 

Rather than programming the MAX CPLD, try verifying its JTAG ID using the Quartus debugger. 

Some of the Rev C USB-Blasters came with a flex cable while others come with a ribbon cable ... I recall problems with one of those, but forget which ... I have USB-Blasters with both and they work fine for me. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Do you know whether or not the USB-Blaster actually works? 

--- Quote End ---  

Have no idea, but I know another guy that has a similar problem. Anyway, I can't test my USB blaster with another device family, because I have only EPM7064. 

I'll try to check its JTAG ID... 

Thank you, Dave.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

*sometimes* when the programmer just says "failed", you get a slightly more interesting error message in the Quartus main window, in the "System" log (the first tab in the messages section)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Anyway, I can't test my USB blaster with another device family, because I have only EPM7064. 

--- Quote End ---  

If you remove the cover of the USB-Blaster, you can loop its JTAG cable back onto an internal JTAG header (which is also a MAX device), and see if you can read the JTAG IDCODE of that device too. 

If you want to check the output drivers are working, you can jumper from the VCC_TARGET pin of the second header internal to the USB-Blaster to that on the USB-Blaster output header, and then probe TCK, TMS, and TDI.  

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

...Before I didn't see the "System" log. When I tried, Programmer gave my this error: "Error: JTAG ID code specified in JEDEC STAPL Format File does not match any valid JTAG ID codes for device". Then I found some information about this problem on Altera Forum. Some guy said to connect a pull-down resistor to TCK pin.  

But it did not fix the error. 

I measure the voltage on the pins: 

TCK = around 0 volts = constant 

TDO = 4 volts = constant 

TMS = around 0 volts = constant 

and TDI = some signal with amplitude 1v 

Also, I opened my USB Blaster and... there is no any CPLD inside. It based on uC 'Silabs' with IC 74LVC125. Maybe because it is the chip USB Blaster. I bought that in Ebay... 

Thank you very much, 

Yaroslav.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Also, I opened my USB Blaster and... there is no any CPLD inside. It based on uC 'Silabs' with IC 74LVC125. Maybe because it is the chip USB Blaster. I bought that in Ebay... 

--- Quote End ---  

I'd recommend buying a Terasic USB-Blaster for $50. I've not had any problem with them. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Yaroslav, 

I would also try a different USB Cable than the one that is provided with the Altera USB-Blaster.  

Depending where you Purchased your USB-BLASTER, sometimes the Stock USB cables are very cheap and are prone to Shorts or an OPEN connection. 

Can you post a Picture of how you're interfacing the chip?  

It would help to see your interface setup. 

Cheers! 

-Gerry
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Yaroslav, 

--- Quote Start ---  

I opened my USB Blaster and... there is no any CPLD inside. It based on uC 'Silabs' with IC 74LVC125. Maybe because it is the chip USB Blaster. I bought that in Ebay... 

--- Quote End ---  

What does the outside of your USB-Blaster clone look like? 

Since its a SiLabs clone, its likely based on this design here: 

http://ixo-jtag.sourceforge.net/archive/ixo_de_usb_jtag.html 

and I think this is a photo of its internals: 

http://servux.free.fr/tmp/usbblaster.jpg 

If you wanted to "debug" your problem, you could look at the ixo.de source code for the clone. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Finally, I fix my problem ! The solution was to connect USB-Blaster directly to CPLD (through 74HC244), connect VCCtarget and +5Vcpld together and add a pull-up resistor to TDI pin. The both programmers(my USB-Blaster and also Terasic USB-Blaster) are working now. 

Thank you very much, 

Yaroslav.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Yaroslav, 

--- Quote Start ---  

The solution was to connect USB-Blaster directly to CPLD (through 74HC244) 

--- Quote End ---  

What was wrong with the 74LVC125 on the SiLabs USB-Blaster? 

--- Quote Start ---  

connect VCCtarget and +5Vcpld together 

--- Quote End ---  

Your board should have already done that, i.e., the VCC_TARGET pin on the USB-Blaster is supposed to power the buffer inside the USB-Blaster. That is how the USB-Blaster ensures the logic levels transmitted to the board are compatible with the device. 

If your board did not connect VCC_TARGET, then that would explain the problem. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Yaroslav, 

What was wrong with the 74LVC125 on the SiLabs USB-Blaster? 

Your board should have already done that, i.e., the VCC_TARGET pin on the USB-Blaster is supposed to power the buffer inside the USB-Blaster. That is how the USB-Blaster ensures the logic levels transmitted to the board are compatible with the device. 

If your board did not connect VCC_TARGET, then that would explain the problem. 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

Nothing ! My CPLD board is designed for ByteBlaster so it has 74HC244 on it to protect the CPLD. I tried to connect USB-Blaster to the same connector, but it did not work. 

About VCC_TARGET, I didn't know that's why I didn't connect it... 

Thank you, 

Yaroslav.
0 Kudos