Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Using legacy MAX (EPM7128S) CPLDs

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I need to learn how to program and use an EPM7128S. At this point, I have very little knowledge of CPLDs, so I am looking for resources applicable to the EPM7128.  

I am aware that this is a very old device, so old that the Altera web site does not seem to have any detailed information on the device. 

Similarly, I believe that Altera did produce an EPM7128 development board which appears to be obsolete. 

Does anyone know whether it is possible to find an EPM7128 development board aywhere - either new or used? 

Failing that, does anyone have any device specific tutorial information that they could share please? 

regards 

Dave
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave: 

So there's a couple of issues with using older devices, One what version of Quartus supports it. (This seems to be Quartus 13.0 SP1 for the MAX7000 series). And two, how long will the part be available. 

A CPLD today is very similar to an FPGA, but much smaller. Unless you have a board already in production that has the part already in it, and you just need a minor tweak, than I would avoid this family, and look at the MAX V series. (Not the MAX3000A family is also last supported in Quartus 13.0 SP1, so avoid it as well) 

If you have the original design files, the rest of the design process. If they are schematic files. And you understand them, it's probably easiest to stay that route. Otherwise I recommend you learn Verilog or VHDL, and play with Quartus synthesis. 

I'm sure you can find a grey market dev board somewhere, but the question becomes why? If you have a board already already, that you are tweaking, tweak it in that system. Otherwise, if you are looking to just learn, use a newer product that is supported. 

I found a grey market  

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Pete, 

thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. 

I had not realised that Altera were dropping support for the 7000 series from Quartus, that is useful information. 

Yes, I realise that the 7128S is very old, and if I needed a device with gauranteed future availability, then I would not consider using it.  

However, my interest here is in using the device as an introduction into CPLDs and Verilog/VHDL. The project that I have in development is a hobbyist one, I have a basic hardware design using discrete logic that I want to convert to CPLD as an introduction to the topic. Eventually, assuming that my brain can handle it, I will move onto FPGAs, but at this stage, since I have a number of the EPM7128S available, I'm planning to base the design on it. That's probably not a good reason for starting out with such old technology, but in the spirit of walking before I run, I'm comfortable with the decision. 

The modified board design will include a JTAG interface, but at this stage, it has not been built, so I am looking for a cheap board to start out with. I'm guessing that with simulation, that might not be necessary, but I like to "feel" the hardware. The "grey market" dev board suggestion seems like a good idea - if I knew of where to look to try and find one? 

regards 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave: 

I encourage you to work on it. Leaning new things is Always good! 

I dug up the datasheet on the Altera Site: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/ds/m7000.pdf 

I don't see any dev boards however. If you have a few parts, I saw some pricing for a "no longer available board" at $80.00. 

For that price, I would just be the DE0 Nano board and be happy. It's the same price and gives you light years more capabilities. 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=139&no=593 

The Max V dev kit is almost the same price: 

http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-max-v.html 

If you just want to play with the parts you have, wire it up based on the datasheet and the pinout you choose, and try it out. It's cheaper than buying a board.  

http://www.pyroelectro.com/tutorials/fpga_rs232_interface/schematic.html 

gives you a really basic schematic you could use as a reference to get started. 

Have fun! 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Pete, 

thanks a lot for the pointers, I had found the 7000 series datasheet, but the other info is very helpful. 

I'm giving a bit of thought to building a prototype board for the CPLDs that I have from the schematic you pointed me to, or whether to buy a "bottom of the range" dev kit just to learn the basics, thanks for the tips, 

regards 

Dave
0 Kudos