Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Input port SERIESTERMINATIONCONTROL of I/O output buffer is not connected to a termin

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have an old build from Quartus 8.1 that I recompiled in Quartus 13.0.1. I am using a Cyclone III.  

When I compile the first time, it works. If I change nothing and just click compile again, I get a list of errors saying  

Error (15857): Input port SERIESTERMINATIONCONTROL of I/O output buffer "ad_rst~output" must be connected to a termination block 

In my *.qsf the only descriptions I have for "ad_rst" are  

set_instance_assignment -name IO_STANDARD "1.8 V" -to ad_rst 

set_location_assignment PIN_C10 -to ad_rst 

set_instance_assignment -name FAST_OUTPUT_REGISTER ON -to ad_rst 

set_instance_assignment -name OUTPUT_TERMINATION "SERIES 50 OHM WITH CALIBRATION" -to ad_rst 

and in my Verilog top program this node is defined as  

inout ad_rst;  

This is one example of several nodes with the same issue. Any suggestions?  

Thanks in advance for you help.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Is your I/O "ad_rst" one of a external memory pins ? (may be ddr) 

Many threads of the forum talk about lunching a .tcl file to fulfil pin assignment for external memory controllers. 

Keep only the location_assignment for your pin, and remove the others. 

The .tcl will do it properly for you. 

regards,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It is not an external memory pin. Just a pin that controls an external A/D chip. I have the location assigned explicitly in the *.qsf file. I have never had to use a *.tcl script before and I don't have to use it when I compile the first time and it works. Any other suggestions?  

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A new piece of information .. if I obliterate the /db and /incremental_db and recompile .. then it works fine.  

So in summary, I had a design from Quartus 8.1 that I recompiled in Quartus 13.0.1 from an archive. The first time I compile it, everything is fine. If I just hit play to compile again, without changing anything, I get that some of my pins have that SERIESTERMINATIONCONTROL error that is stated in the above post.  

Then, if I obliterate the newly formed folders /db and /incremental_db and recompile .. it works.  

Any suggestions.  

Thank you!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

One other additional piece of information .. the error seems to appear only when I use "SERIES 50 OHM WITH CALIBRATION". If I just use "SERIES 50 OHM" termination, then I do not get any errors and everything works properly.  

So it seems something in the /db or /incremental_db folders that is generated from an archive using 13.0.1 is not correct with "SERIES 50 OHM WITH CALIBRATION".  

Jodi
0 Kudos