Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16602 Discussions

I can't compile my code to generate a PWM signal

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone 

When I compile my code a problem with the syntax appears and I can't find the problem. The objective of my code is generate a PWM signal: 

library IEEE; use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all; use IEEE.numeric_std.all; use IEEE.std_logic_signed.all; use IEEE.std_logic_unsigned.all; entity pwm_generator is port( a, b: in bit_vector (31 downto 0); c: out bit); end pwm_generator; --The input 'a' means the frequency, of signal pwm, in binary. For example 1234Hz is 00000000000000000000010011010010Hz --The input 'b' means the duty cicle in binary. For example 27% is 00000000000000000000000000011011% --The output 'c' means the output of pwm signal. architecture logical of pwm_generator is variable t, e, a1, b1, f: integer; --The variable 't' means the period (in seconds) of pwm signal. --The variable 'e' means the time (in seconds) of the high level ('1') of the pwm signal. --The variable 'a1' means the decimal representation of the input 'a'. --The variable 'b1' means the decimal representation of the input 'b'. --The variable 'f' means the time (in seconds) of the low level ('0') of the pwm signal. begin a1 := to_integer(unsigned(to_stdlogicvector(a))); b1 := to_integer(unsigned(to_stdlogicvector(b))); t := 1/a1; e := t*b1; f := t-e; process begin L1: loop c <= '1'; wait for e; c <= '0'; wait for f; end loop; end process; end logical;  

The error is { Error (10500): VHDL syntax error at test_language_vhdl.vhd(27) near text ":="; expecting "(", or "'", or "." } 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi everyone 

When I compile my code a problem with the syntax appears and I can't find the problem. The objective of my code is generate a PWM signal: 

library IEEE; use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all; use IEEE.numeric_std.all; use IEEE.std_logic_signed.all; use IEEE.std_logic_unsigned.all; entity pwm_generator is port( a, b: in bit_vector (31 downto 0); c: out bit); end pwm_generator; --The input 'a' means the frequency, of signal pwm, in binary. For example 1234Hz is 00000000000000000000010011010010Hz --The input 'b' means the duty cicle in binary. For example 27% is 00000000000000000000000000011011% --The output 'c' means the output of pwm signal. architecture logical of pwm_generator is variable t, e, a1, b1, f: integer; --The variable 't' means the period (in seconds) of pwm signal. --The variable 'e' means the time (in seconds) of the high level ('1') of the pwm signal. --The variable 'a1' means the decimal representation of the input 'a'. --The variable 'b1' means the decimal representation of the input 'b'. --The variable 'f' means the time (in seconds) of the low level ('0') of the pwm signal. begin a1 := to_integer(unsigned(to_stdlogicvector(a))); b1 := to_integer(unsigned(to_stdlogicvector(b))); t := 1/a1; e := t*b1; f := t-e; process begin L1: loop c <= '1'; wait for e; c <= '0'; wait for f; end loop; end process; end logical;  

The error is { Error (10500): VHDL syntax error at test_language_vhdl.vhd(27) near text ":="; expecting "(", or "'", or "." } 

Thanks in advance. 

--- Quote End ---  

declare your variables after process. I am not sure if your code is synthesisable due to wait for.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I declared the variables after "process" and now another error appears, involving the division operator. My new code is: 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; use ieee.std_logic_signed.all; use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all; entity pwm_generator is port( a, b: in bit_vector (31 downto 0); c: out bit); end pwm_generator; --The input 'a' means the frequency, of signal pwm, in binary. For example 1234Hz is 00000000000000000000010011010010Hz --The input 'b' means the duty cicle in binary. For example 27% is 00000000000000000000000000011011% --The output 'c' means the output of pwm signal. architecture logical of pwm_generator is begin process variable a1, b1: integer; variable t, e, f, b2: real; --The variable 't' means the period (in seconds) of pwm signal. --The variable 'e' means the time (in seconds) of the high level ('1') of the pwm signal. --The variable 'a1' means the decimal representation of the input 'a'. --The variable 'b1' means the decimal representation of the input 'b'. --The variable 'f' means the time (in seconds) of the low level ('0') of the pwm signal. --The variable 'b2' means the percentage in decimal of 'b1'. begin a1 := to_integer(unsigned(to_stdlogicvector(a))); b1 := to_integer(unsigned(to_stdlogicvector(b))); b2 := b1/100; t := 1/a1; e := t*b2; f := t-e; L1: loop c <= '1'; wait for e; c <= '0'; wait for f; end loop; end process; end logical;  

The error is: { Error (10327): VHDL error at teste_linguagem_vhdl.vhd(33): can't determine definition of operator ""/"" -- found 0 possible definitions 

}. 

About the "wait for" if don't work I'll change my idea.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I declared the variables after "process" and now another error appears, involving the division operator. My new code is: 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; use ieee.std_logic_signed.all; use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all; entity pwm_generator is port( a, b: in bit_vector (31 downto 0); c: out bit); end pwm_generator; --The input 'a' means the frequency, of signal pwm, in binary. For example 1234Hz is 00000000000000000000010011010010Hz --The input 'b' means the duty cicle in binary. For example 27% is 00000000000000000000000000011011% --The output 'c' means the output of pwm signal. architecture logical of pwm_generator is begin process variable a1, b1: integer; variable t, e, f, b2: real; --The variable 't' means the period (in seconds) of pwm signal. --The variable 'e' means the time (in seconds) of the high level ('1') of the pwm signal. --The variable 'a1' means the decimal representation of the input 'a'. --The variable 'b1' means the decimal representation of the input 'b'. --The variable 'f' means the time (in seconds) of the low level ('0') of the pwm signal. --The variable 'b2' means the percentage in decimal of 'b1'. begin a1 := to_integer(unsigned(to_stdlogicvector(a))); b1 := to_integer(unsigned(to_stdlogicvector(b))); b2 := b1/100; t := 1/a1; e := t*b2; f := t-e; L1: loop c <= '1'; wait for e; c <= '0'; wait for f; end loop; end process; end logical;  

The error is: { Error (10327): VHDL error at teste_linguagem_vhdl.vhd(33): can't determine definition of operator ""/"" -- found 0 possible definitions 

}. 

About the "wait for" if don't work I'll change my idea. 

--- Quote End ---  

just comment out t:1/a1 as it is not doing anything. After all / is not supported for synthesis as far as I know 

Frankly I don't understand what you are aiming at. 

also avoid mixing of libraries, just use numeric_std instead of signed/unsigned 

edit: sorry about t, it is used later but you can't use / for synthesis
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suggest the following: 

set your inputs as follows: 

a: in std_logic_vector(15 downto 0); 

b: in std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); 

clkin: in std_logic; 

clkout: out std_logic 

(a) to be your clkout period in clk samples (not absolute time and not frequency) 

(b) is duty cycle but scaled by 128/100(to avoid division) 

compute (b1) from (a) & (b) in logic as follows: 

in logic multiply (b) by (a) then discard 7 bits b1 = a*b/128 (e.g. for 27% duty cycle b1 = a*35/128)  

run a counter on clk starting from zero and increment by 1 till a value equal to (a-1) and back. 

finally decide clkout logic: if count = (b1-1) clkout to be high and if count = (a-1) clkout to be low (or the reverse).
0 Kudos