Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Simulation of Electric Machines on FPGA Board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all,  

I would like to put the electric machine model into the Cyclone II FPGA since it will give us much more faster simulation performance.  

Can anyone share me some experience to put the electric machine model into FPGA? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Which electrical machine model are you refering to? have you got a compiled design?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Which electrical machine model are you refering to? have you got a compiled design? 

--- Quote End ---  

For example, induction machine. At this moment, I do not have a compiled model. The trick part is to how to realize the induction motor model in VHDL
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You would not write an induction motor in VHDL - it is an electrical device that uses magnets to propell a motor - Do you mean the controller for such a device?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You would not write an induction motor in VHDL - it is an electrical device that uses magnets to propell a motor - Do you mean the controller for such a device? 

--- Quote End ---  

I found a paper to describe how to implement. Can you give me some comments? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Its a model of a complex system. Im sure it can be written in VHDL given enough time and effort. What other comments do you want?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't see a particular advantage of running electrical machine simulations on FPGA, although it's surely possible. I can report of a commercial machine emulator that is running the (nonlinear) motor model with 50 µs simulation step on a performance microprocessor. http://www.scienlab.de/file_622-125468-890/scienlab-inverter-test-environment.pdf

0 Kudos