Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

compilation error in fied-point package

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everybody, 

Recently I desided to try out fixed-point package for vhdl, but came across a compilation error in Quartus 11.1: 

Error (10416): VHDL attribute error at fixed_pkg_c.vhdl(4550): predefined attribute "instance_name" is not supported 

What can be the cause of this error and is there any workaround? 

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As it turned out the best workaround is to comment out "assert NO_WARNING report fixed_pkg'instance_name..." in fixed_pkg_c.vhdl :-)) 

But seriously, I've been under the impression that people use successfully this fixed-point package with Quartus. So frankly, I didn't expect these kind of mistakes which look like incompatibility of pakage and Quartus.  

P.S. Moreover, I downloaded the package version which is dedicated specifically for Altera at http://www.eda.org/fphdl/.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This still shows how slow Altera are to take up new standards. If they only fully supported 2008, you wouldnt need the '93 compatability package version at all. 

Please raise a mysupport request with altera for full 2008 support.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

This still shows how slow Altera are to take up new standards. If they only fully supported 2008, you wouldnt need the '93 compatability package version at all. 

Please raise a mysupport request with altera for full 2008 support. 

--- Quote End ---  

I'll try to do that (although I don't have a clue how to do it yet, never done this before:-)). But I still don't get how numerous individuals compile this package. How they deal with that particular issue? Everybody is commenting out this "assert" statement in to_sfixed() function?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The last time I used it in Quartus was probably 9.1 or 10 (so 4 years ago). I cannot remember if I commented this line out or not.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So raise a support request, go here 

https://www.altera.com/myaltera/mal-index.jsp 

sign up, and file a support request (it will make you do a search first - the "continue" button is hidden at the bottom.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And did you run into another issues that made you patch fixed-point package file? I mean, is it normal practice to go through this file like this making changes or my issue is an exception rather than a rule?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This file is provided by a third party (granted, one of the custodians of the VHDL 2008 standard) but they only tried it againt one or two versions of quartus (a few years ago), and not extensively. So using 3rd party software you dont know what to expect. 

But I got good results from it.
0 Kudos