Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Generic Pin Assignments in .qsf file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

Today i was wondering if there was a way of generically assigning pins in a .qsf file. I have a master copy of the .qsf file to give to everyone, except the only problem is that everyone i am giving it to will have different pinouts. Would it be possible to reference an outside pinout in .qsf code that will automatically erase the old and write in the correct pin assignments rather than going through the whole pinout each time by hand. (basically a way to read in outside text and write it into the .qsf file) Any idea how to go about this? thanks 

-ryan
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You might be able to have a generic .QSF file without any pinout, and then give each person a .tcl file that creates the appropriate pinout. This will then modify that person's .qsf file, but the master has no pin assignments. It means they have to re-run the .tcl file every time they receive a copy of the project, but that shouldnt be too much of a chore - the .tcl file shouldnt ever need to change.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, i had heard about the tcl files before, but i haven't written in .tcl code before. Can you give me an idea of how i would go about writing this code?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you can just copy/paste the relevant .qsf into a tcl file, the .qsf file is just a list of TCL commands

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok thank you very much for the help

0 Kudos