Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Is Quartus capacitive loading setting add real capacitance to FPGA pins?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The setting locates in Quartus [Assignments]-->[Settings]-->[Device]-->[Device and Pin Options]-->[Capacitive Loading tab]. At first I took it as only a value specified for timing analysis, but lately I read a white paper minimizing ground bounce & vccsag (http://www.altera.com.cn/literature/wp/wp_grndbnce.pdf), it talked about ways to eliminate ground bounce and VCC sag. There is a method: 

Programmable GND or VCC on every third I/O pin. Programmable GNDs and VCC s are not connected to board GND or VCC and have a 7.5-pF load. 

And then I was wondering does it relate to the Capacitive Loading setting? 

And another point might support Capacitive Loading add real capacitance is that the setting specifies same value to pins of the same I/O standard. 

I am now confused.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The capacitive load setting you provide in Quartus is for *you* to tell Quartus what is physically connected to the FPGA/CPLD I/O pins. For example, if you have a Flash or SRAM device connected to an I/O pin, and the data sheet for that device indicates 10pF per device pin, then you use that value in the capacitive load setting in Quartus. This allows Quartus and TimeQuest to adjust the clock-to-output timing for the additional capacitance on the pin. The TimeQuest results (margins) are then more realistic. 

Quartus already knows about the pin capacitance of the FPGA/CPLD package, and the "extra" internal capacitance on the VREF pins. You can see this in a TimeQuest report as the clock-to-output delay for the VREF pins is larger (so do not use them for high-speed signals). 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos