Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20624 Discussions

Do I really need a license ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'd like to develop a Cyclone III app (possibly with the NIOS II processor) for a new design. Is a paid license required for distribution ? It's not clear from the Quartus Subscription vs. Web comparison pdf.  

Apologies in advance for the "newbie" question
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Web addition will work fine for Cyclone III. However NIOS is a licensed core.  

So if you have NIOS, it will require a NIOS add on license. to build it without the timeout. I've never have done NIOS on a web-license (we have a full license with the NIOS add-on) 

If you go Cyclone V, it appears all the SOC's are supported under the web edition. So that would be my recommend place to start with a CPU. 

Basically the smaller (Current) families are supported on the web-edition. The license gets you support for larger family members and some optimizations and tools not supported in web-edition. NIOS is an add-on license, but a "Time-out" version is available to try before you buy. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The NIOS II/e is free, no license required 

http://www.altera.com/devices/processor/nios2/cores/economy/ni2-economy-core.html 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Pete & Dave. I'll check out your suggestions.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Good to know Dave.. We've had the standard core license for awhile. Didn't know they made the "Economy" version free. 

Pete
0 Kudos