Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16598 Discussions

Can't fit design in device after upgrade from 13.0SP1 to 13.1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a project for the MAX V "5M240ZM100C5" CPLD, almost at the max capacity of the device. 

Previously I was using 32bit PC, Windows 7 and Quartus II 13.0 SP1 Web Edition, and was able to successfully compile and fit the design on the device. 

Here is a piece of the log from the Fitter: 

Info: Running Quartus II 32-bit Fitter Info: Version 13.0.1 Build 232 06/12/2013 Service Pack 1 SJ Web Edition ... Info: Command: quartus_fit --read_settings_files=off --write_settings_files=off InterfaceLogic -c InterfaceLogic Info: qfit2_default_script.tcl version:# 1 ... Info (171003): Fitter is performing an Auto Fit compilation, which may decrease Fitter effort to reduce compilation time ... Info (332144): No user constrained base clocks found in the design Info (332128): Timing requirements not specified -- optimizing circuit to achieve the following default global requirements Info (332127): Assuming a default timing requirement Info (332111): Found 5 clocks ... Info (186079): Completed User Assigned Global Signals Promotion Operation ... Info (186079): Completed Auto Global Promotion Operation Info (176234): Starting register packing Info (186391): Fitter is using Normal packing mode for logic elements with Auto setting for Auto Packed Registers logic option Info (186468): Started processing fast register assignments Info (186469): Finished processing fast register assignments Info (176235): Finished register packing Info (171121): Fitter preparation operations ending: elapsed time is 00:00:01 Info (170189): Fitter placement preparation operations beginning Info (170190): Fitter placement preparation operations ending: elapsed time is 00:00:00 Info (11888): Total time spent on timing analysis during the Fitter is 0.02 seconds. Info (170216): Fitter cannot place all nodes on current device -- Fitter will automatically make another fitting attempt and tightly pack logic elements Info (176234): Starting register packing Info (186391): Fitter is using Minimize Area packing mode for logic elements with Auto setting for Auto Packed Registers logic option Info (186468): Started processing fast register assignments Info (186469): Finished processing fast register assignments Info (176235): Finished register packing Info (171121): Fitter preparation operations ending: elapsed time is 00:00:00 Info (170189): Fitter placement preparation operations beginning Info (170190): Fitter placement preparation operations ending: elapsed time is 00:00:00 Info (11888): Total time spent on timing analysis during the Fitter is 0.02 seconds. Info (170216): Fitter cannot place all nodes on current device -- Fitter will automatically make another fitting attempt and tightly pack logic elements Info (176234): Starting register packing Info (186391): Fitter is using Minimize Area with Chains packing mode for logic elements with Auto setting for Auto Packed Registers logic option Info (186468): Started processing fast register assignments Info (186469): Finished processing fast register assignments Info (176235): Finished register packing Info (171121): Fitter preparation operations ending: elapsed time is 00:00:01 Info (170189): Fitter placement preparation operations beginning Info (170190): Fitter placement preparation operations ending: elapsed time is 00:00:00 Info (170191): Fitter placement operations beginning Info (170137): Fitter placement was successful Info (170192): Fitter placement operations ending: elapsed time is 00:00:01 Info (170193): Fitter routing operations beginning Info (170195): Router estimated average interconnect usage is 28% of the available device resources Info (170196): Router estimated peak interconnect usage is 28% of the available device resources in the region that extends from location X0_Y0 to location X8_Y5 Info (170194): Fitter routing operations ending: elapsed time is 00:00:01 Info (170202): The Fitter performed an Auto Fit compilation. No optimizations were skipped because the design's timing and routability requirements required full optimization. Info (11888): Total time spent on timing analysis during the Fitter is 0.55 seconds. Info (11218): Fitter post-fit operations ending: elapsed time is 00:00:00 ... Info: Quartus II 32-bit Fitter was successful. 0 errors, 3 warnings  

On the report I have a total of logic elements of 150 / 160 ( 94 % ). 

Now I bought a new PC i7 64bit, Windows 8.1 64bit and installed the Quartus II 13.1 Web Edition. 

And now the compilation fails at the Fitter, for the log it seems that no optimization is atempted: 

Info: Running Quartus II 64-Bit Fitter Info: Version 13.1.0 Build 162 10/23/2013 SJ Web Edition ... Info: Command: quartus_fit --read_settings_files=off --write_settings_files=off InterfaceLogic -c InterfaceLogic Info: qfit2_default_script.tcl version:# 1 ... Info (171003): Fitter is performing an Auto Fit compilation, which may decrease Fitter effort to reduce compilation time ... Info (332144): No user constrained base clocks found in the design Info (332128): Timing requirements not specified -- optimizing circuit to achieve the following default global requirements Info (332127): Assuming a default timing requirement Info (332111): Found 5 clocks ... Info (186079): Completed User Assigned Global Signals Promotion Operation ... Info (186079): Completed Auto Global Promotion Operation Info (176234): Starting register packing Info (186468): Started processing fast register assignments Info (186469): Finished processing fast register assignments Info (176235): Finished register packing Info (171121): Fitter preparation operations ending: elapsed time is 00:00:01 Info (170189): Fitter placement preparation operations beginning Error (170011): Design contains 178 blocks of type logic cell. However, the device contains only 160 blocks. Info (170190): Fitter placement preparation operations ending: elapsed time is 00:00:00  

So I did some testing to find out if I can manage to solve this issue, I checked the settings and it seemed to be identical on both setups. 

Running the 32bit of 13.1 also got the same issue. 

Then I tried downloading the version 13.0 SP1 Web Edition again for the new PC, and successfully fitted the design. 

Did this happened to someone? 

Is this situation normal, due to new license limitations or something, or do I need to change any settings in the software? 

Thank you
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Also I wanted to know, if because of the optimizations necessary the normal functioning of the design can be compromised?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Ferre: 

13.1 is a pretty significant re-write of quartus. Although there are some optimization differences between the web and licensed version. I think these are mainly associated with placement, not logic optimizations. 

I would open a support case with Altera. Or if you are willing to post the design I can compile it with 13.1 64 bit licensed version and see if it makes a difference in the fitting.  

Quartus has a way to generate .QAR files which is basically a compressed project file with all the sources. So that would probably be the way to go. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Have you tried compiling it across several different seeds?  

Try using standard fit instead of auto-fit? 

Increase the placement effort multiplier value?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Pete, 

Yes, I didn't taught the differences were so significant, but it seems they are. 

I would be very appreciated for you to try the compilation, although I'm not allowed to share the design due to a non-disclosure agreement. 

I think that I'll open a support case, just to figure this out, since at least with the 13.0SP1 version I can work with the design. 

Thank you 

Pedro Ferreira
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Skyjuice88, 

I tried with several seeds, also failed all with the same amount of exceeding logic cells. 

What I believe that changing the seeds affects, is the timing performance and not the size in logic cells, correct me if I'm can be wrong. 

The Standard fit I also had tried before, with no change. It seems that all the changes that I made on the Fitter settings didn't take any effect. 

I tried with a placement effort multiplier of 4, no luck. 

Thank you
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think the key might be this line from 13.0: 

Info (176234): Starting register packing 

Info (186391): Fitter is using Minimize Area with Chains packing mode for logic elements with Auto setting for Auto Packed Registers logic option 

In 13.1, Quartus does retry register packing with multiple different options for Max V devices, as it did in the past. Try changing the register packing mode to "Minimize Area with Chains" and see if that helps. 

Cheers, A
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I think the key might be this line from 13.0: 

Info (186391): Fitter is using Minimize Area with Chains packing mode for logic elements with Auto setting for Auto Packed Registers logic option 

In 13.1, Quartus does retry register packing with multiple different options for Max V devices, as it did in the past. Try changing the register packing mode to "Minimize Area with Chains" and see if that helps. 

Cheers, A 

--- Quote End ---  

Man you are Jesus! 

Yes it really worked! 

I had given up on this, and was using the old version. 

I feel it strange since ALL of the settings of all categories were exactly the same between versions 13.0 SP1 and 13.1, and in the old version it worked but not in the new... 

It seems that the Auto varies between 13.0 and 13.1. 

So I had to change the Settings->Fitter Settings->More Settings->Auto Packed Registers->Minimize Area with Chains. 

Also I can report a simple visual bug on the software. When you change the option from Auto to other and press the Reset button, a second AUTO (in caps) appears as an option. 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8406
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm afraid I'm the one who made that change to the behaviour of auto packed registers (I'm a software engineer at Altera). For reasons that aren't really worth getting into, there was a lot of code to support that one optimization for Max V devices (and *only* Max V) that was, believe it or not, preventing us from making some much-needed changes to support Arria 10 devices. 

If you highlight the error message and click F1, you should get help that's shown here: http://quartushelp.altera.com/13.1/mergedprojects/msgs/msgs/efitapi_fitapi_vpr_status_failed_too_many_bles.htm. (Hmm, just noticed a missing space - embarrassing. I just fixed it for the next release).  

We thought that this text would be enough to point people in the right direction - but I suppose that not everyone knows that you can get more help on every message. Did you know about this feature? Would you have noticed if we put a submessage below the error message? Or if there had been a mouseover if you hovered over the error message, telling you to hit F1? 

Thanks for reporting that visual bug - I think I see the problem though I'm not 100% sure. I'll report it to the team that owns it and hopefully they'll have it fixed for the next release. 

Cheers, A
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Aludwin, 

It's great to know that developers are here in the forums helping! 

--- Quote Start ---  

We thought that this text would be enough to point people in the right direction - but I suppose that not everyone knows that you can get more help on every message. Did you know about this feature? Would you have noticed if we put a submessage below the error message? Or if there had been a mouseover if you hovered over the error message, telling you to hit F1? 

--- Quote End ---  

No, unfortunately I didn't knew that you could use the help on every message. 

And even knowing I think the 1st thing that I would do is google for the solution. 

Maybe that's my fault, but the help, wasn't even an solution for this issue. After googling a lot to find the cause, I went to the forum to ask for the solution. 

I didn't consult the help. From now on, most certainly I will since, at least in Quartus software, there is useful information. 

The best way in my opinion, would be to put a submessage with some information like "Select a larger device or reduce the number of logic cells in your project. For MAX V devices hit F1". 

I read the full log, scrolling down, not passing the mouse over each error, the hover can be useful to be there, but not the best solution I think. 

Cheers 

Pedro Ferreira
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Man you are Jesus! 

Yes it really worked! 

I had given up on this, and was using the old version. 

I feel it strange since ALL of the settings of all categories were exactly the same between versions 13.0 SP1 and 13.1, and in the old version it worked but not in the new... 

It seems that the Auto varies between 13.0 and 13.1. 

So I had to change the Settings->Fitter Settings->More Settings->Auto Packed Registers->Minimize Area with Chains. 

Also I can report a simple visual bug on the software. When you change the option from Auto to other and press the Reset button, a second AUTO (in caps) appears as an option. 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8406&stc=1  

--- Quote End ---  

Hi! 

I encounter a problem, namely Fitter was unsuccessful  

Following picture is sub message from Compilation report of Quartus  

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9702&stc=1  

Can you give me a way to solve this problem/ 

Thank you so much!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi! 

I encounter a problem, namely Fitter was unsuccessful  

Following picture is sub message from Compilation report of Quartus  

Can you give me a way to solve this problem/ 

Thank you so much! 

--- Quote End ---  

That's an unusual error message. Can you please provide the following information: 

• What device are you using? 

• What version of Quartus are you using? 

• Are you using Incremental Compilation? 

• What is the routing congestion in that region of the chip? (Refer to the Area and Timing Closure chapter of the Quartus Handbook 

• How many global signals does your design have? (Refer to the Global Signals panel of the Fit report) 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

That's an unusual error message. Can you please provide the following information: 

• What device are you using? 

• What version of Quartus are you using? 

• Are you using Incremental Compilation? 

• What is the routing congestion in that region of the chip? (Refer to the Area and Timing Closure chapter of the Quartus Handbook 

• How many global signals does your design have? (Refer to the Global Signals panel of the Fit report) 

--- Quote End ---  

Dear aludwin! 

Thank you for your reply! 

I will offer several information that you need 

- My device is 5CSXFC6D6F31C8ES cyclone V 

- Quartus 13.0sp1 

- I don't use incremental compilation 

- Following picture that I open tab "Global and other fast signal in Fit Report  

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9717&stc=1  

I still don't find the way to resolve this problem. 

Thank you for your help! 

Best Regard,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Dear aludwin! 

I still don't find the way to resolve this problem. 

--- Quote End ---  

Weird, this should have been caught earlier in the flow. I've asked around internally but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get an answer. 

Try demoting some of the signals from being clocks to using local routing - for example, those altera_reset_synchronizer_int_chain_out signals have fairly low fanout, and one of them is causing your problem anyway. Use the "GLOBAL_SIGNAL" assignment in your QSF to disable it. However, if that's actually being used as a reset signal, watch your recovery/removal slacks in the timing report. 

Are all the problems in Altera IP or Altera-generated HDL?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi & Good Day! 

Dear all, 

May I know, is it this statement is available for Quartus II 9.0 SP2 Web Edition? 

I'm having problem with my Logic Elements (Error: Can't fit design in device) 

I need 1348 Logic Elements by using Device: EPF6016ATI144-3 / EPF6016TI144-3, but this device only be able to support 1320 number of Logic Elements. 

I really need to use EPF6016TI144-3 device. 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I need 1348 Logic Elements by using Device: EPF6016ATI144-3 / EPF6016TI144-3, but this device only be able to support 1320 number of Logic Elements. 

--- Quote End ---  

None of the changes I was talking about were in 9.0. You may simply have to make your design a bit smaller.
0 Kudos