Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

OpenCL SDK Upgrade

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just installed OpenCL SDK 13.1.162 . The 13.0sp1.234, which was installed first, still works but the 13.1.162 fails with "Failed clGetDeviceIDs" error message on running aocl diagnostic. Do I need to reprogram the FPGA's flash memory? 

Thanks in advance for you help?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to use OpenCL code with a Terasic DE5Net FPGA. The code compiles but the host program has errors, When I was trying to troubleshoot I went ahead and used command  

aocl diagnostic 

which returned the following error: 

aocl diagnostic: Running diagnostic from /home/aws4y/altera/13.1/hld/board/terasic/de5net/linux64/bin running diagnostic for : acl0 FPGA is in user mode. Enabling bridges Using platform: Altera SDK for OpenCL Failed clGetDeviceIDs. Error code: -1 aocl diagnostic: failed.  

I do not understand how clGetDeviceIDs fails, I don't think there is a problem with the board but maybe with the configuration. I am trying to use the PCI Express bus with the card is that incorrect? Could it be a configration issue with CentOS or the Altera OpenCL sdk?  

-Aaron
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would flash program a new 13.1 image onto the board and perform a full power cycle to ensure the board is configured with the new image from flash.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there a way to flash via the PCIe bus, if not then is it safe to connect the USB cable while the card is plugged into the PCIe bus? Thanks again for your help.  

-Aaron
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't have this board but judging by the product page it has a USB blaster interface that you just connect a mini/micro cable up to it. This should be independent of PCIe so I think it should be safe to connect. You will have to install the driver for the USB blaster assuming your workstation does not already have it installed, I'm guessing the kit came with instruction on how to do that. For development work I always leave my JTAG connected to my OpenCL board so that I don't need to open my machine any time I need to flash program the board.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This option worked, and results in a passed report from 'aocl diagnostic' thanks a bunch BadOmen.  

-Aaron
0 Kudos