Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Adding packages to Yocto build

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! I have been playing around with a SoCKit, not doing anything too important but really just getting used to it. 

I have a current project that I am trying to do which involves a Python script that communicates with FPGA logic via UART. 

I've figured out how to activate the second UART in QSys, connect it to FPGA logic, and verified I can access the UART from the default Linux image that shipped with the kit. 

Then I downloaded all the stuff to generate the altera-gsrd-image and generated it sucessfully. But that gsrd image didn't include python. 

So, I googled around a bit and found that you could add packages to the Yocto build process by adding: 

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " xxx yyy" 

in conf/local.conf, where xxx and yyy are packages to install. 

So I used that syntax to install a few packages, and that worked. But for some reason, installing python in this manner is not working for me. 

I get all the way to the end, and then when running do_rootfs the bitbake script generates an error: 

| Unable to resolve package python 

| ERROR: some packages were missing 

Only I think it knows where to find python: "bitbake python" will finish with no problems. And other packages will work, I only seem to have this problem with python. 

Can anyone help me out? 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I figured it out.... Even though the package is called "python", I guess the package that gets installed on the target is called "python-core".  

So, I just had to use python-core in the IMAGE_INSTALL_append variable....
0 Kudos