Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Cyclone V GX to Cyclone V GX interfacing.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there.... 

My name is Jitendra and I'm design board using Cyclone V GX .And My question is , How to interface the two Cyclone V GX FPGA? As reason for interfacing is to use one FPGA as for Processor part and another for the different device interface and then interfacing two Cyclone V GX to work together. So Please help me(Well i heard of the SFI-5 protocol for interfacing Cyclone V GX, but i'm not sure). 

Thank you. 

With Regards 

Jitendra
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Jitendra: 

From FPGA to FPGA there are the sky is truly the limit on how you can interface two FPGA's. The main driving factor is your requirements, and how much data you need to push between the two devices. 

You said you are using one as a Processor, and the second as a device. Are you using the SOC's varients? It may be easiest to use PCIe interfaces in that case. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Pete.. 

Thank you for reply. As i am using cyclone series v GX ,not the SOC varients . Can you please suggest me any idea regarding this . 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

SFI-5 is a pretty potent protocol aimed at >10Gbps communications. Unless you have some serious data to transport I'd suggest this is way beyond what you need. 

Give us an idea of what it is you're trying to carry and I'm sure we can be of more help. 

Regards 

Alex
0 Kudos