Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Beginner FPGA and Stepper motor

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a question about FPGA and stepper motor 

I want to make use of the output voltage of FPGA to provide the voltage for stepper motor.  

However, i have no idea how to connect them tgt.  

I have checked the date sheet. And there is a GPIO that i THINK it can be used to provide 3.3V for stepper motor.  

But when i come to verilog and assign pin number for output(for stepper motor). I dont can't find any pin for it.  

The question is , the 3.3V which is written on the green board. Is that a constant voltage that when u connect with any device , it provides 3.3V? Thank you.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you wont be able to use the GIPO pins to directly power a stepper motor, but that GIPO pin can be used to send pulses which will be the step and dir signal to a driver circuit. Look up easydriver, this chip will take step and direction signal generated from the FPGA and convert it to motor movement. 

your top entity is where you'd declare your pins and then use pin planner to assign that pin to your pin location. You can then use whatever pin name you called it and map it to your verilog module.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, i replied kind of late. Thank you. i have tried to use the clk as input to match with output(GIPO pin) and declare it. However, i still can't make the step motor move....

0 Kudos