Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

CPRI Mega core compilation tool for Arria V devices

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I'm trying a compilation of a project with following specificaitons. 

Device : Arria V 

Design : CPRI_v12.1 with 9.8 GBps line rate 

Tool : QuartusII 12.1 sp1(32 bit)  

It is recommended in the CPRI megacore user guide that to use a 64-bit version of the QuartusII tool for the Arria V design compilations. When I tried doing that, I came to a know that 64-bit version of QuartusII tool can be processed only in 64 bit systems from online threads. 

Does it mean that it requires a 64-bit operating system to run 64-bit verison of Quartus II ? ( not WinXP can process)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need a 64-bit processor, and hence OS, to run 64-bit Quartus. If you only have a 32-bit machine, and no way to get a 64-bit machine, I *think* VirtualBox just added a feature where you can run a 64-bit virtual machine from a 32-bit host ... Google just confirmed this ... but the VirtualBox site is down for maintenance, so try later. 

Install Windows 7 or a 64-bit version of Centos (Linux) (since its free), and then install Quartus into the 64-bit VM. That should work fine (but might be a little slow). 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks dwh for your clarificaiton!

0 Kudos