Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20637 Discussions

cyclone v encrypt

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, help please. 

I have successed in encrypting Cyclone V FPGA configuration data with volatile key which is stored in FPGA internal ram. However, a battery(volatile key should use it) on the PCB Board will take up some space and mostly, I do not know how long(years) the energy of the battery will be exhausted. So, we want to use non-valatile encrypt mode(no battery is required). With usb blaster, the key can be written into fpga when select on "configure volatile design security key when avaiable" on the options dialog box of programmer(quartus v13.1). But the key can not be written into fpga, even if we select off "configure volatile design security key when avaiable".  

So, we want to know whether only ethernet blaster can be used in non-volatile key writing or both ethernet and usb blaster can be. and if battery is used(volatile key used), how long the battery can maintain. 

thanks very much! :)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

So, we want to know whether only ethernet blaster can be used in non-volatile key writing or both ethernet and usb blaster can be. and if battery is used(volatile key used), how long the battery can maintain. 

--- Quote End ---  

I've been told that the USB Blaster II will also be able to write the non-volatile key, but those are not available yet. The only present solution I know of to write the non-volatile key is with the Ethernet blaster.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

will you please do me a favor an solve the problem I met when encrypting the configuration file useing volatile key? I can not find the "SOF Files Properties: Bitstream Encryptiondialog box" when press the properties button. the dialog appear on my screen is shown as below. 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10557&stc=1  

thank you!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

will you please do me a favor and solve the problem I met when encrypting the configuration file useing volatile key? I can not find the "SOF Files Properties: Bitstream Encryptiondialog box" when press the properties button. the dialog appear on my screen is shown as below. 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10560  

the Quartus ii version is 13.0 and the FPGA chip is Cyclone v. 

thank you!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

will you please do me a favor and solve the problem I met when encrypting the configuration file useing volatile key? I can not find the "SOF Files Properties: Bitstream Encryptiondialog box" when press the properties button. the dialog appear on my screen is shown as below. 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10560  

the Quartus ii version is 13.0 and the FPGA chip is Cyclone v. 

thank you! 

--- Quote End ---  

Are u using web or subscription edition? It is not included in web edition. 

Subscription edition shud have this 'FEATURE quartus_nonvolatile_encryption' in the license file. If u dont hv it,u need to enable it in Altera online self-service-licensing centre.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

hello, help please. 

I have successed in encrypting Cyclone V FPGA configuration data with volatile key which is stored in FPGA internal ram. However, a battery(volatile key should use it) on the PCB Board will take up some space and mostly, I do not know how long(years) the energy of the battery will be exhausted. So, we want to use non-valatile encrypt mode(no battery is required). With usb blaster, the key can be written into fpga when select on "configure volatile design security key when avaiable" on the options dialog box of programmer(quartus v13.1). But the key can not be written into fpga, even if we select off "configure volatile design security key when avaiable".  

--- Quote End ---  

You can use Ethernet Blaster , Ethernet Blaster II and USB Blaster II to program the non-volatile key. About the how long the battery can maintain, I suggest to refer to the battery datasheet. You can refer to AN556 to know which battery being use to sustain volatile key. 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an556.pdf
0 Kudos