Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

How to turn on Cyclone V LVDS 100Ohm termination in Pin Planner?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using Quartus-II v13.1 with the Cyclone V 5CSXFC6D6F31C8NES. I have several LVDS I/O pairs going to the LVDS interface of a high-speed ADC. One example of such an I/O pair would be pins AA26 (DIFFIO_RX_R21p) and AB27 (DIFFIO_RX_R21n). When I try to set "Tranceiver I/O Pin Termination" in the Pin Planner, I get the message, "This assignment is only for TX or RX pins". But these are RX pins, aren't they?  

So, how do I enable 100Ohm internal termination for this LVDS pin pair? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

When I try to set "Tranceiver I/O Pin Termination" in the Pin Planner, I get the message, "This assignment is only for TX or RX pins". 

--- Quote End ---  

You'll select "differential" in column "input termination". You possibly need to enable the column. Transceiver termination is for GXB only.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You'll select "differential" in column "input termination". You possibly need to enable the column. Transceiver termination is for GXB only. 

--- Quote End ---  

Exactly the info I needed. Thanks! I had to enable the menu in order to select an input termination.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

how to enanble the " input termination " column in the pinplanner  

i can't find it 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8669
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

According to Wndows standard, the pin list window has a context menu.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

right-click the pin table header and in "customuze columns..." add that column you want

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Other than Pin Planner, you also can turn on the lvds 100 ohm termination from the assignment editor. 

From the assignment editor, you can select "Differential" for lvds input termination
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You may enabled the 100 Ohm on chip termination for LVDS input through the QSF file directly. The following is an example of QSF assignment: 

set_instance_assignment -name INPUT_TERMINATION DIFFERENTIAL -to system_refclk
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

It is recommended for your to double verify if the 100Ohm termination has been enabled by run the Fitter compilation and then check the Fitter report. You may look for input pins section.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This thread help me a lot. I must say I COMPLETELY forgot about the context menu where you enable and arrange the different columns. Would be nice to have an icon or something as a hint. (I too am using Quartus 13.1 so maybe this is different in newer versions. Also, in the 2015.05.04 version of the Quartus Settings File Reference Manual (MNL-Q21005) what's given for the syntax and example for INPUT_TERMINATION don't match!  

SYNTAX: set_instance_assignment -name INPUT_TERMINATION -to <to> -entity <entity name> <value>  

EXAMPLE: set_instance_assignment -name INPUT_TERMINATION "PARALLEL 50 OHM WITH CALIBRATION" -to pin_name 

Just an observation
0 Kudos