Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Graphical User Interface (GUI)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I am not sure i post at the right form or not but i would like to know about Graphical User Interface (GUI). 

if any one can explain how is possible and the best way for doing UI for Altera FPGA board. Please if you know any book or other sources share it with us . 

thank you
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It is hard to answer your question as it is a broad topic and "best" can have lots of answers (UI complexity, project budget, time, etc.). 

Maybe start with a description of the system you would like to construct? Is the GUI implemented in FPGA logic, FPGA hard/soft core processor software, or PC interface to control the board?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It is hard to answer your question as it is a broad topic and "best" can have lots of answers (UI complexity, project budget, time, etc.). 

Maybe start with a description of the system you would like to construct? Is the GUI implemented in FPGA logic, FPGA hard/soft core processor software, or PC interface to control the board? 

--- Quote End ---  

I actually i am looking for PC interface to control the board as you said. 

thanks for your respond
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you just need something relatively quick and simple, I would suggest using the GUI features within System Console. Here is a training video that gives you an idea of what is possible: 

http://www.altera.com/education/training/courses/oemb1117
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I actually i am looking for PC interface to control the board as you said. 

thanks for your respond 

--- Quote End ---  

There's a free demo download of a FPGA GUI IP core from www.webphyfpga.com (http://www.webphyfpga.com). It gives you a web page GUI that you can customize, and allows you to control/monitor your FPGA from IPad, Andoid, PC, Linux, etc. using a standard web browser. Connects to Ethernet via LVDS IO so no PHY is needed. There's also an online interactive demo of the core in action that you can try out.
0 Kudos