Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc command not found

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey,guys, how to solve the problem which is "arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc command not found" at the Embedded_Command_shell when I type "make" command? I follow the instruction in My_First_HPS.pdf to build the executable file but fail with this error!!! 

Quartus version I used is 13.0 .
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I general the command not found is due to that you do not have a correct path to the binary. So it's either a problem with the embedded command shell or some other setup file. I don't know what operating system and shell you are using, but if this was Linux and sh/bash you could resolve the problem by (for example if your DS-5 installation is at /altera/DS-5) 

PATH=/altera/DS-5/bin:$PATH 

export PATH 

make
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I general the command not found is due to that you do not have a correct path to the binary. So it's either a problem with the embedded command shell or some other setup file. I don't know what operating system and shell you are using, but if this was Linux and sh/bash you could resolve the problem by (for example if your DS-5 installation is at /altera/DS-5) 

PATH=/altera/DS-5/bin:$PATH 

export PATH 

make 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi,petter , thanks for your reply. 

The OS I using is window 7 (32bit) . 

I try to follow the suggestion you given to setting the PATH in the embedded command shell but fail . so I wanna to ask izit the setting was same with the Linux? 

Below is the picture to describe the problems i faced.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I hardly ever use Windows. But I seem to remember that the various Altera shells are just cygwin bash shells. However, C: does not make sense in bash and spaces in directory names have to be quoted at least. 

But it seems like you already have it in your PATH from your second screendump. 

What is the output of  

ls /cygdrive/c/altera/13.0/embedded/ds-5/bin/ 

and what happens if you enter the full path: 

/cygdrive/c/altera/13.0/embedded/ds-5/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I hardly ever use Windows. But I seem to remember that the various Altera shells are just cygwin bash shells. However, C: does not make sense in bash and spaces in directory names have to be quoted at least. 

But it seems like you already have it in your PATH from your second screendump. 

What is the output of  

ls /cygdrive/c/altera/13.0/embedded/ds-5/bin/ 

and what happens if you enter the full path: 

/cygdrive/c/altera/13.0/embedded/ds-5/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi,petter, 

The output of "ls /cygdrive/c/altera/13.0/embedded/ds-5/bin/" show that cannot access to /cygdrive/c/altera/13.0/embedded/ds-5/bin/:No such file or directory. 

I wonder why my /cygdrive/c/altera/13.0/embedded/ directory does not have "ds-5" folder and I reinstall it several times but still the same result... 

Here is the the picture of it. 

thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you find arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc anywhere on your filesystem? There's a tool in Windows to find files. In cygwin you could probably do: 

find /cygdrive/c -name arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Can you find arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc anywhere on your filesystem? There's a tool in Windows to find files. In cygwin you could probably do: 

find /cygdrive/c -name arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc 

--- Quote End ---  

Problem solved~ thanks your help~
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm glad you got your problem solved. However, it's good practice to write a short description of what the problem was and how it was solved. When other users google for the same problem they might find an actual solution to the problem.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm glad you got your problem solved. However, it's good practice to write a short description of what the problem was and how it was solved. When other users google for the same problem they might find an actual solution to the problem. 

--- Quote End ---  

I notice that after full installation of ds-5, the DS-5 folder was located on my C drive Programs file which supposed to be located on /c/altera/13.0/embedded/ , then just need to copy the DS-5 folder to the embedded directory, problem was solved then.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hey,guys, how to solve the problem which is "arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc command not found" at the Embedded_Command_shell when I type "make" command? I follow the instruction in My_First_HPS.pdf to build the executable file but fail with this error!!! 

Quartus version I used is 13.0 . 

--- Quote End ---  

please provide the weblink for "My_First_HPS.pdf" or attached in this post.
0 Kudos