Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Is Floating License Global?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Does anyone know that whether Quartus floating license can be used globally, that is, an oversea branch can check out the license from license server in US? Some EDA company charges differently for their license to use 'locally' or 'globally'. I can't find anywhere on Altera website discussing about it. 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It would be best to discuss such matters with your sales rep. 

I have worked for companies where licences are shared across borders. 

Basic rules for any company like this: buy more of their stuff, and you get more freedom to do what you want and get more support. Contracts are always open to negotiation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It depends upon the license agreement the company have with the vendor. Licenses terms are negotiable, especially if you are a large multi-national company purchasing 1000's of licenses. I don't know specific about Altera, but many EDA vendors have different license agreements for the same product. Altera's business is selling devices, so they might be flexible if they can sell more devices by offering this service. On the other hand, a Quartus license is very cheap compared to most other EDA tools.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think you can if you're connected to the same server

0 Kudos