Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Ethernet interface based on ARM HPS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone! 

I'm considering possibilities of ethernet interface realization on HPS. What I need is data speed up to 20 Mbits/s and IP routing function. Where to start from? I'm thinking about using SoCkit for evaluation, but it seems it's impossible to use DS5 web edition version because ethernet port must be used to application development. Any useful ideas would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should be fine using the Ethernet for both debug and your own application. As long as you don't try to use the same port number the debugger is using, Linux will take care of routing the packets to the correct place for you. Just connect your debug PC, the HPS Ethernet, and what it is communicating with to an Ethernet switch (not a router).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for this suggestion, but actually I was mistaken. Sockit doesn't have to be connected to the Internet to work with DS5 web-edition, but PC has to. So there is no problem with ethernet port. Anyway terasic doesn't have an Ethernet example for HPS now, so it's difficult to get started...

0 Kudos