Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

Quartus Not Saving Important Configurations

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am encountering an issue where my Quartus II 13.1 Ubuntu install is not able to save the changes I make to important settings. This is an issue for me since it is preventing me from leveraging important features within Quartus that rely on having a certain license or configuration. Here are two cases that I have run into: 

1) When attempting to enable TalkBack via Tools/Options/Internet Connectivity/TalkBack Options/"Enable sending TalkBack data to Altera", I check the box and OK out of both menus, but the change is not saved. Reopening the TalkBack Options pane immediately after (without restarting the software or the system) shows the box as unselected. This is a serious issue, as it is preventing me from using the SignalTap II IP core under the Web Edition license. 

2) When adding licenses, I must manually specify licenses each time after starting the software up. This is an issue when integrating 3rd party IP core licenses. 

Installation Details: 

Quartus II 64-Bit Version 13.1.0 Build 162 10/23/2013 SJ Web Edition 

Web Edition License 

Thanks for your help! 

Matt 

EDIT: I should add that I tried running Quartus under sudo thinking that there might be a write permissions issue at play, but the process crashes immediately.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

1) When attempting to enable TalkBack via Tools/Options/Internet Connectivity/TalkBack Options/"Enable sending TalkBack data to Altera", I check the box and OK out of both menus, but the change is not saved. Reopening the TalkBack Options pane immediately after (without restarting the software or the system) shows the box as unselected. This is a serious issue, as it is preventing me from using the SignalTap II IP core under the Web Edition license. 

--- Quote End ---  

The settings are in .altera_quartus directory in your home directory in the quartus2.ini file. The settings are version specific. Check to make sure this directory, and file are owned by you and writable. 

--- Quote Start ---  

2) When adding licenses, I must manually specify licenses each time after starting the software up. This is an issue when integrating 3rd party IP core licenses. 

--- Quote End ---  

Use the LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable if you have issues.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Surely enough, permissions/ownership of ~/.altera.quartus was the issue. chown/chmod fixed it right up. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Glad to help.

0 Kudos