Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16602 Discussions

Programming without Quartus

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, is there a way to keep the FPGA running with out Quartus? I'm using the free version. Can the .sof file be stored in a memory and loads into the FPGA every time the board is turn on with out the need of beeing connected to Quartus? Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

which board do you use? 

if your board has EPCS- flash rom, you can download your sof file( actually you have to convert it into jic file) 

after that, EPCS configuers your FPGA each time your board is powered-up. 

if your board is your design, I am not sure if your board has EPCS or not. 

anyway making jic file is [file]->[convert programming files]
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Akira, 

Thanks for your post. I'm using a BeMicro Cyclone III FPGA - EP3C16F256C8N board. It's a good thing to know that it can be done. Can you point me out to any documentation or tutorials on how to achieve this. Also what's EPCS- flash rom please? Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The EPCS flash of the first BeMicro stick is unpopulated. You have to solder it to the board. The assembly drawing in the user manual shows an optional EPCS4 (= ST/Numonix/Micron M25P40). 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20350
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks guys. I'm new to this process so if any one can point me to good step by step how to program the jic file to this memory and what code is necessary to make the board work with out Quartus. Thanks

0 Kudos